User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Offline Retail and Tradeshows
Discuss the process of getting your t-shirt line into brick and mortar stores and selling offline. Topics include industry tradeshows, events, line sheets, sales reps and other retailing tips and advice.

Wholesaler Partnerships Question

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 2 Weeks Ago May 9, 2017 3:56:08 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Matt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Wholesaler Partnerships Question

Hello,

I own a lifestyle apparel brand (casual wear) and recently a big company in our niche reached out to us wanting to do a partnership.

This partnership essentially is just a wholesale partnership, they purchase our clothing at discount and re-sell it, but they want their logo (small logo) to also be on the shirt.

They are a bigger company and have the ability to purchase alot of shirts from us upfront so I'm very interested in it but I'm wondering if there are any issues with us putting their "small" logo on our shirts as well.

I was initially worried it would dilute the brand and we are still in the beginning stages of researching the partnership but does anyone have any experience with this and anything I should be concerned with?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago May 9, 2017 7:40:40 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Adnan

Default Re: Wholesaler Partnerships Question

Didn't experience this before but from my legal knowledge I know that there won't be a legal problem. There might be a branding problem for your brand and the confusion 2 logos might create but that's about it.

Old 2 Weeks Ago May 9, 2017 7:59:55 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Thanked 2,276 Times in 2,008 Posts

A larger clothing company, operating in the same sphere as you, wants to brand your gear with their logo.

Are you competitors?

The larger concern I would have is losing my identity and be seen as some type of sub-brand to the larger brand.

Last edited by splathead; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:11 PM..

Old 2 Weeks Ago May 9, 2017 9:31:40 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

So it's not a clothing brand, it's a different niche altogether but we share a similar target audience and so that's why it makes sense for both of us currently.

My logo would be the same as it always is, same size, placement, etc. but their logo would be 60% smaller and be slightly above my logo.

Old 2 Weeks Ago May 9, 2017 9:36:17 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I also considered losing my identity but they are so Niche that I would still have access to the biggest market, my current market. And right now still being new they have the ability to buy a massive quantity of shirts from me and sell them/get them out to the market.

I still have to get my business lawyer to draft up a contract and I'm not sure if the other company had a set time span for this partnership, but I was thinking I could always end it if I felt that my brand was getting impacted too much, or just do a 6 month partnership and have that in the contract so at the end of the 6 months I'd be free to re-assess whether or not we would want to continue to work with them.

I just think right now where as I'm so new and still working on getting traffic and eyes on my product, this would be the jump start I need financially but also brand wise just getting it out there - keep in mind I have about 7 designs running right now and we would just be using 1 design for this partnership/wholesale orders.

Old 2 Weeks Ago May 10, 2017 7:06:42 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWLifestyle
So it's not a clothing brand, it's a different niche altogether but we share a similar target audience and so that's why it makes sense for both of us currently.

My logo would be the same as it always is, same size, placement, etc. but their logo would be 60% smaller and be slightly above my logo.
I would go for it then, for sure.

Our niche is racquetball clothing. And I envision a larger company with the same audience wanting to do this. Maybe a racquet or shoe company. I would jump at the chance.

Old 2 Weeks Ago May 10, 2017 9:52:42 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

They're not a direct competitor, you get to make money, and with your logo remaining on the shirt you get free exposure to their crowd. Sounds like a great opportunity.

Old 2 Weeks Ago May 10, 2017 10:33:41 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I was talking to a few colleagues, some older guys in their 50's who run businesses the other day and they said I should becareful because something about the market they sell to is an asset and if my company went under or something was to happen to it, they could legally own that market or something. It made sense at the time but I don't understand the full extent of it yet...any thoughts?

Old 2 Weeks Ago May 10, 2017 11:30:04 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

It is very difficult for us to envision scenarios without knowing details on your brand and the brand of the other co.

On the surface; you don't own markets. You have market share depending on how well your product sells. You may even have client lists but it's hard to imagine a strategic partner having rights to that absent a contract.

Old 2 Weeks Ago May 10, 2017 11:34:29 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jim

Looking at your other posts on the forum I'm amazed that you have a large company that is looking at your brand. It appears that you are just launching a new business with no knowledge of shipping or production equipment like heat presses.

Old 2 Weeks Ago May 10, 2017 11:43:53 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProArtShirts
Looking at your other posts on the forum I'm amazed that you have a large company that is looking at your brand. It appears that you are just launching a new business with no knowledge of shipping or production equipment like heat presses.
I've been running for 5 months, and am not new to business. In regards to shipping I'm looking for more cost effective ways to ship than we currently are and you clearly have no business sense if you believe that you need to own or know about heat pressing equipment to run a successful tshirt business.

Instead of making these negative posts I would suggest you work on your business and marketing skills, and learn the fundamentals. "Think & Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill is a good one to start with.

Old 2 Weeks Ago May 10, 2017 11:47:37 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your insights, now that you mention it I believe he was talking more about Client Lists but I've made an appointment with our business lawyer to review all of this anyway. Just wanted to get some more sets of eyes on it to see if I missed anything. I'm purposely keeping it vague to protect my business and my partner.

Old 2 Weeks Ago May 10, 2017 1:25:31 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your insights, now that you mention it I believe he was talking more about Client Lists but I've made an appointment with our business lawyer to review all of this anyway. Just wanted to get some more sets of eyes on it to see if I missed anything. I'm purposely keeping it vague to protect my business and my partner.

Based on the deal as you describe it, I see no reason either one of you would be sharing client lists.

The Following User Says Thank You to splathead For This Useful Post:
PNWLifestyle (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago May 10, 2017 1:49:29 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by splathead
Based on the deal as you describe it, I see no reason either one of you would be sharing client lists.
Definitely. I'll be sure to get my lawyer to add in some clauses about that as well just to be safe. I appreciate your help on this - just don't want to get screwed with this opportunity because I'm just seeing the $$ and brand potential right now, but I feel it's safe and worth it.

Old 2 Weeks Ago May 10, 2017 7:09:52 PM -   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
just don't want to get screwed with this opportunity because I'm just seeing the $$ and brand potential right now
The only real possible way for you to come up on the short end is to extend credit for product shipment and then not get paid.

1. Watch your receivables like a hawk. They will want credit terms, sometimes as long as it takes for the product to sell. Don't fall for it.

2. No return of unsold merchandise. Especially since their logo is on it. Once they buy it, they own it.

3. Mind your shipping costs. It's a profit-eater. They should be paying for shipping.
NoXid and DrivingZiggy like this.

This is a discussion about Wholesaler Partnerships Question that was posted in the Offline Retail and Tradeshows section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.