Remove Heat Press Vinyl? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Remove Heat Press Vinyl?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 30th, 2009 Jan 30, 2009 9:18:11 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Paul
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Remove Heat Press Vinyl?

I have a Jersey that I put my name and number on, but I have learned a few things since then. My question is: Is there a way to remove heat vinyl? Just have 1 to do. Thanks, PC

Old January 30th, 2009 Jan 30, 2009 9:34:06 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default Re: Remove Heat Press Vinyl?

I read a method on these forums where if you place a sheet of regular paper over the shirt and press for the same time as your heat transfer vinyl, then peel hot, you can gradually remove it. I have not tried it myself, but I've heard from other members that it worked, but took a few presses. I wish I could find the original link that mentioned it, but not seeing it offhand.

Other methods that I've read have involved a heat gun, or using acetone, but both may damage the garment, so I'd try this method first. A former forum member used to produce a product called t-saver that helped remove vinyl and transfer material from garments, but I am unsure if his product is still being made as he has passed away.

Old January 30th, 2009 Jan 30, 2009 11:20:36 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Lee

There are a few places in the UK that do a removal spray, xpres do one and ja-int do one called superspray, I've seen others but not sure where.

I know this does not help you in USA but they might ship out there or tell you where you can get it.

Old January 30th, 2009 Jan 30, 2009 12:28:52 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Paul

I found a few threads... looks like heat gun or even the heat press.. Get it hot and start peelin' -PC

Old January 30th, 2009 Jan 30, 2009 4:36:36 PM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Byron
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAR Clothing Co
I found a few threads... looks like heat gun or even the heat press.. Get it hot and start peelin' -PC
Did you use the ordinary paper procedure? How was it on vinyl flex? I have only tried that on opaque transfer paper and wonder if it will also work on vinyl flex. Thanks.

Old January 30th, 2009 Jan 30, 2009 8:49:01 PM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Luis
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I was the one who posted the plain paper technique. The method is a cheap way of removing the opaque material but it leaves the adhesive on the fabric. It is good if the new opaque will cover the adhesive entirely. Heat gun can damage the fabric.

Here is a link of vinyl remover: Vinyl Removers and Adhesive Removers for removing vinyl graphic film materials

Stahls product is the one I used and it worked. It does not damage the fabric. The adhesive melts. It does not leave any trace.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lnfortun For This Useful Post:
cmaijala (September 6th, 2012)
Old February 1st, 2009 Feb 1, 2009 1:59:51 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Justin

Luis I too have used this on the Stahls product and it worked a treat, as you said though, especially on dark fabrics it does leave a mark, something to consider when placing the next design on it.

Old February 1st, 2009 Feb 1, 2009 2:47:04 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Kirst

I use Specialty Materials vinyl and this solvent (or one similar to it) works just great. Very easy to do and no residue of any type is left on the garment. I purchased mine through Wellington House in Portland, OR.

Last edited by KirstWhite; February 2nd, 2009 at 08:57 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to KirstWhite For This Useful Post:
SpecMat (November 29th, 2011)
Old February 2nd, 2009 Feb 2, 2009 11:13:33 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Girlzndollz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanked 2,226 Times in 1,384 Posts

I would also recommend the Tsaver product for this. It is made to remove shirt vinyl from garments. From the site, it looks like it is still available for purchase:

Order T-Saver

Old April 21st, 2010 Apr 21, 2010 5:43:49 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Kim

Saw this from a couple of years ago and thought I'd share, since everyone has such good information for me most of the time when I need help!

The man I used to work for is the one that taught me this. Apparently he tried it on vinyl and it worked. When he retired and closed, I opened my own shop and this is what works for me to remove vinyl. Keep in mind it is a little pricey to start, but it is a tool that will last forever.

(It also works for screen printing ink)

the gun is called a "goof gun". It plugs into a regular elect. outlet. (it may also be called a spot cleaning gun)
The liquid is called "TexOut" it is a "cured plastisol remover".

The gun runs $59 and the TexOut runs $20 (through Graphic Solutions Group. (Graphic Solutions Group). Offices in Dallas, Houston, Tulsa, and Ok City.

I spray directly on the vinyl I want to remove. It is a high pressure spray and it will hurt you if you spray it directly on yourself, so I recommend a towel or something under the item you are removing. High pressure spray the vinyl and watch it begin to peel up. I would almost say it melts it, but it stays cold like acetone. It doesn't take much but it does work!!! You can also use it in small areas without the gun if you have patience to use q-tips etc and apply it enough to "soak through" the vinyl until it releases from the shirt.

after you get the vinyl off, you may see a "white" residue that almost looks like it faded the shirt or discolored it. Just set it under your heat press for several seconds and it goes away. The texout will not harm the apparel, nor the person wearing it. I have removed names and numbers from baseball jerseys from local competition that put the wrong things on the wrong shirt right before a game, and they didn't have any allergic reactions at all.

It leaves no tackiness or glue residue at all. I tried it on a DTG shirt that I printed, and it didn't work after curing-- it might have if I didn't heat set it first.

It did not work very well on transferred apparel. (for me)

I hope this is useful to everyone looking to find ways to remove vinyl from shirts/apparel. Feel free to contact me with further questions.

I didn't post this to advertise for Graphics Solutions, but it's the only place I deal with the most, and I got mine from them....don't even know anyone else that might carry the TexOut....

Happy Heat Transfer!!

Kim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shutterbug For This Useful Post:
charles95405 (April 21st, 2010), wonubee (January 24th, 2013)
Old April 20th, 2014 Apr 20, 2014 6:11:04 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: marie

I have a question does any one know what would get off the glitter flake from a tee? would it be the same vinyl remover that is used on other vinyl thanks

Old April 21st, 2014 Apr 21, 2014 5:09:26 AM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Luis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariesTees
I have a question does any one know what would get off the glitter flake from a tee? would it be the same vinyl remover that is used on other vinyl thanks
You can use acetone. You can buy it from Walgreens or Menards.

Old April 21st, 2014 Apr 21, 2014 6:43:02 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Lisa

Heat Transfer Warehouse also sells a product called 'Vinyl Letter Remover' --- I've used it and it works well. However, the larger the design and the darker the garment, there could be residue leftover. I think it's relatively inexpensive (< $20).

Good luck!

Lisa

Old August 28th, 2014 Aug 28, 2014 3:11:10 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

After using one of these solvents, do you need to wash the garment before reapplying a new piece of vinyl?

This is a discussion about Remove Heat Press Vinyl? that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.