User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

How expensive is a "professional" heat press setup?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 1st, 2005 Apr 1, 2005 7:21:31 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 5,988 Times in 3,222 Posts

Default How expensive is a "professional" heat press setup?

What all does it take to start doing heat press shirts "professionally"?

I'm not talking about starting a fulfillment company, but if you had some simple t-shirts that you wanted to sell from your home, is a good quality printer and the necessary paper reasonably priced?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2005 Apr 1, 2005 8:47:59 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Adam
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: How expensive is a "professional" heat press setup?

A swing arm heat press is a must tbh. They are a tad more expensive but not by much. You can pay more for temperature gauges, timers, larger platens etc. I started off with a GeoKnight JetPress 12. It's a great heat press for starters. Cheap price under £400 / $800

I have Epson printers because that's what dye sub favours. They make dye cartridges for a few models. The Epson 980 is a fantastic printer, very quick. I have two Epson 1520s for A3 prints. Big clunky old skool printer but does a great job.

You'll want a guillotine, some transfers, and grease proof paper it you are going the heat transfer route.

Adam

Old April 12th, 2005 Apr 12, 2005 7:16:31 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Bruce
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

These web sites will give you an idea of what it takes to start your t-shirt business.

http://www.proworld.net/

http://www.qlt.com/store/merchant.mv

http://www.rplsupplies.com/

Last edited by rbmilne; April 12th, 2005 at 08:24 AM..

Old April 12th, 2005 Apr 12, 2005 7:57:59 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Adam
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

don't use the word SHIRT on here it's not allowed LOL.. that's funny

Old April 24th, 2005 Apr 24, 2005 12:30:58 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Fred

The 'ideal' heat press setup is:
1 15x15" heat press (starting about $600)
An Epson printer - preferably the new 'C' series printers which use the Epson Durabrite Inks. (Starting at $70.00)
Transjet II heat transfer paper for heat transfers onto white and light colored garments. ($.60 per sheet)
White 100% cotton t-shirts- $.99 each Gildan, Hanes, etc...

The above is NOT for sublimation printing.

For sub printing, you MUST use sublimation ink and heat transfer paper specifically design for sub transfers. Due to the recent patent litigation, looks like Sawgrass now owns the patent (and market) for sublimation ink. Costs for sub ink cartridges have risen from a low of approximately $45 per cart (980) to roughly double or triple the price.

Sub transfers do NOT work on 100% cotton, thus the preferred fabric is the Hanes Soft'Link garment. Price runs about $4.50+ pert t-shirts.

No matter what kind of heat transfer you use, it is always best to place a blank sheet of regular bond paper on top of the heat transfer when you heat press it. This blank sheet helps absorb any blowout or 'offset' inks from getting onto the upper platen of your heat press.

If you desire a basic into to heat transfers, you are welcome to visit http://www.fun-tees.com Heat transfers, presses, inks, etc... are discussed.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Last edited by toonsign; April 26th, 2005 at 03:49 PM..

Old May 18th, 2005 May 18, 2005 4:27:27 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Before you buy check out all your heat press options.

www.printa.com - the 550 series is one of the nicest heat presses on the market. I use it at my trade show booth all the time at ISS and NBM/Printwear. It is easy to use and has auto release.

Sublimation does require a 100% poly shirt to do the best t can do. However, you are not simly limited to the Soft Link from Hanes.

Other shirts are available in the market.

www.acp.com

www.johnsonplastics.com

www.vaporapparel.com

good options including colored shirts that work with sublimation dyes.....yes colored shirts!

Old June 2nd, 2005 Jun 2, 2005 7:50:12 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

A bit of a late response, but you can always try to find a used heat press, which should only run you about $150-350 instead of $500-$1500. Aim for about 1/3 to 1/4 of the price of a new one, make sure it works, etc. You can check pawn shops, flea markets, or second hand stores, or go direction to screen printers/t-shirt bussinesses in the are and ask if they have a used heat press they might want to sell - that's how I got mine.

This is a discussion about How expensive is a "professional" heat press setup? that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.