Ordering more than one color on a design - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Ordering more than one color on a design

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 25th, 2012 Apr 25, 2012 6:12:35 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Doc
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Ordering more than one color on a design

Ok, stupid question alert! I've ordered a few one color designs from F&M and I've managed to get those ordered and designed with minimal issue. I'm trying now to wrap my brain around doing more than one color. So I have a few questions.

1. Each layering is considered a color no matter if it's the same color repeated right?

2. When ordering transfers can you do gradients and like 50% opaque colors?

3. When ordering transfers you have to start with the top first and the base last right?

I've digitized with embroidery for quite a while so have the whole color layers down and how to view objects by their layers (it's hard sometimes not to).

I know it's dumb stuff but I just want to be sure I'm comparing apples to apples and don't REALLY mess up my first multi color order. I've read about trapping but just was making sure each color layer was what counted as a color and not the actual color. Also about doing some sort of gradient or blend. It's a lot to learn and every day I feel like I'm making progress in Illustrator, but I can't wait till I can do the 2 minute knockouts of artwork. And even print my own transfers.... wow maybe someday ;-) thanks

Old April 25th, 2012 Apr 25, 2012 7:10:08 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Paul
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default Re: Ordering more than one color on a design

Number 1, No if you have the same color you put it in the same layer. If you had a bike that's blue, and a helmet that's blue, they'd print all the blue in one color. What I'm saying is if the blue is the same.

If you have a sky blue, and a navy blue those are two different colors.

2) Gradients and like 50% opaque colors: They can be made on the same screen (color), but it depends on the screen printer. Some screen printers want them on separate screens.

3) As far as which to order first is up to the company you're buying it from. Ask them what they prefer. They all start screen printing with the base first, but they don't all screen print the colors in the same order. I.E. Darks to light or light to dark.

We do th base and end with borders if they have one.

Old April 25th, 2012 Apr 25, 2012 11:23:56 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Selanac seem's like your custom plastisol transfer page is not working. Could you give me a price list.

Old April 26th, 2012 Apr 26, 2012 3:53:17 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Doc

Thanks y'all. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the short cuts of using as few screens as possible. AND it's a lot different from embroidery because you have no pull compensation right? I'm in SP equipment hunting mode and if I can find some fairly cheap I think I'm going to jump on it.

Old April 26th, 2012 Apr 26, 2012 5:20:05 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jose

Check out youtube, theres a number of videos that explain the color seperation process. Even though you may have designed your image with different layers ultimately anything that is the same color will be on the same screen come printing time. I normally will keep 2 files of the design, one color seperated file and one with the original layered design. Makes it easier if i need to make any changes down the road. Sometimes i have clients that request to change a color or small design.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jbanuelos85 For This Useful Post:
drdoct (April 26th, 2012)
Old April 26th, 2012 Apr 26, 2012 7:17:19 PM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Paul
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

DJDomino,

Haven't decided what to charge for the Custom Transfers yet. Only doing them for myself to take to shows.

You can click on my Contact link and ask me questions concerning that.

This is a discussion about Ordering more than one color on a design that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.