Need advice about heat press - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers

Heat Press and Heat Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of heat press technology. Transfer paper, inks, plastisol transfers, vinyl cutters, printers, commercial usage, durability, suppliers, etc.

Need advice about heat press

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 16th, 2012 Apr 16, 2012 11:07:30 AM -   #1 (permalink)
AAE
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Khydijah
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Need advice about heat press

I just offered someone 300$ including shipping (which he says is 65$) for a new (no brand specified) 16x 20 with 5 add'l different size platens (looks like for baby clothes pant legs, sleeves, youth size and something else). He wants 350$ for it not including the shipping so all together I would be dishing out like 415$. Did I insult him by my offer ? is this package worth 415$ if not what would u offer? He says he only has 3 left of these packages. Do i even need these other platens or can I do everything ( shirts, sleeves, pant legs etc) on 1 press maybe something bigger is needed like a 20x20 or? Should I wait to see what he has Nxt or what someone else has? Need help quick I have less than 2 days to decline/ accept/or counter his counter offer.
Heeeeeellllp lol

Old April 16th, 2012 Apr 16, 2012 6:43:17 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Loretta
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default Re: Need advice about heat press

I paid $28 to UPS a couple of years ago to ship an 18 pound package from Ohio to Arizona! That press will tip the scales at 45-75 pounds. $65 for shipping it is reasonable. Sounds like a multi-use press. I have one that does shirts, plates, caps, and mugs. He's selling Chinese presses, sounds like. They can be gotten relatively cheaply. $350 is a good price for a 16x20 press, but $300 for the press AND shipping won't fly.

Old April 16th, 2012 Apr 16, 2012 8:05:32 PM -   #3 (permalink)
AAE
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks soo much for the advice Loretta. Finally deciding to step out and do these shirts. I wanna be a good steward over my $$$ that's why I'm being extra cautious, I want to be secure with this purchase knowing I've made the right decision. I just wanna get the right one for now that's going to last at least 5-7 years if not longer, ya know. The name of the machine I was referring to is Vesta, have you heard of them? What machine do you have? How many different platens does it come with, if any. If it's only 1 shirt platen are you able to do long sleeve shirts,socks, pant legs, youth, and baby as well as adult t-shirts?
These are the items that I will be doing even caps down the line. In your opinion do you think I should make the ultimate purchase now or just get something 300-400 just to get started and get my foot in the door?
I know I'm asking oodles of questions, but I just don't wanna make a mistake with my first purchase,lol. I know I will make mistakes just don't want them to be the mistakes that cost the most ya know;0)

Old April 16th, 2012 Apr 16, 2012 8:20:57 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Paul
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Other than t-shirts, Heat Presses are the lowest cost in this business.

You made a good choice for the price. Some cost Hundreds more.

Old April 16th, 2012 Apr 16, 2012 8:22:06 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

A cheap press is a cheap press. It won't last for 5-7 years. You'll be lucky to get one year out of it. But it's a start. Bring in more business, save up and get a nice press. You don't really need different size platens to do that stuff, pants maybe, but not the rest. The one I got is a 4 in 1 press and it isn't a brand name, it's just a cheap Chinese press. The one I want to get is the Hotronix Fusion, but it's very expensive. Start cheap and see if you like doing it first. Just make sure you get a digital temp gauge and a digital timer with alarm.

Old April 17th, 2012 Apr 17, 2012 1:03:02 AM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Iben, Vesta's and Microtec are good products. I have a Microtec 16 x 20, auto open and pull out drawer. This is an awesome heat press.

Old April 17th, 2012 Apr 17, 2012 7:13:38 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Iben, Vesta's and Microtec are good products. I have a Microtec 16 x 20, auto open and pull out drawer. This is an awesome heat press.
I've never heard of either one of them, so I'll take your word for it. Mine is a no-name, Chinese press.

Old April 17th, 2012 Apr 17, 2012 7:25:24 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: keith

65 is a good price for shipping. I ship heavy stuff all the time and I am happy when I get this price.

Old April 17th, 2012 Apr 17, 2012 7:25:26 AM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Royce (not Roy)

Sometimes buying a cheap product is like buying a lottery ticket....Lots of losers with the occasional winner....So each individuals experience may vary......

Pro World Inc sells Microtec.....

Old April 17th, 2012 Apr 17, 2012 8:57:57 AM -   #10 (permalink)
AAE
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

All if this is very good advice thanks everyone. I'm excited to start now but think I might try to told out a little longer to get a hotronix or another VERY good press, b/c the press will literally be the lively hood of my business. But can I wait that long is the question.

Old April 18th, 2012 Apr 18, 2012 6:29:14 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
But can I wait that long is the question.
Sometimes the longer you wait the higher the price goes. Keep your eye out for sales or specials.

Old April 18th, 2012 Apr 18, 2012 4:44:03 PM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

People hate when I say this, but you can always buy another one after you bring in some cash.

One good custom job brings in some good money. Especially since we have all the spring and summer events coming up.

One job can pay for your press. Even an expensive job. Family reunions, weddings, birthday parties, retirements, teaching people how to make money selling your products, custom logo's etc.

Old April 18th, 2012 Apr 18, 2012 8:45:01 PM -   #13 (permalink)
AAE
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by selanac
People hate when I say this, but you can always buy another one after you bring in some cash.

One good custom job brings in some good money. Especially since we have all the spring and summer events coming up.

One job can pay for your press. Even an expensive job. Family reunions, weddings, birthday parties, retirements, teaching people how to make money selling your products, custom logo's etc.
Sounds familiar.. My biz partner thinks along the same line he's actually the reason why I'm taki g my time, if it was up to me I would have been purchased a eat press. Do t j ie if that's food or bad,lol. Just sooo ready to move forward I can taste it but slow And steady wins the race right.

Old April 19th, 2012 Apr 19, 2012 1:00:27 AM -   #14 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

That's the problem with having partners.

If you wait to long jobs will low down for the fall and Winter

Old April 19th, 2012 Apr 19, 2012 5:46:55 AM -   #15 (permalink)
AAE
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

@selanac your right so should i just jump in and get a cheap press for like $200-$250? just to get started I can always sell it and get a better one later right? what do you suggest.

This is a discussion about Need advice about heat press that was posted in the Heat Press and Heat Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.