User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Graphics and Design Help

Graphics and Design Help Category Sponsor

Get advice to help you create your t-shirt graphics. Discuss t-shirt design software, special effect techniques, or other topics related to creating a t-shirt design on your computer. If you'd rather hire a graphic designer to do the work for you, please post in our Referrals and Recommendations section here.

Design help

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago Mar 20, 2017 4:58:43 AM -   #16 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Neil
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Design help

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibsanddribble
@Ripcord how much does Illustrator differ from PSP? I use PSP because it is what I know and know I can do what I want in it
Illustrator is a vector program like Corel Draw. Most designers use both vector and raster programs to create a variety of effects. That being said, there are some designers who work entirely with raster programs like Photoshop.

For most drawing I prefer a vector program because it gives me complete control over the basic shapes of the objects. Often I'll incorporate raster imaging into a vector drawing to achieve effects not possible with vectors, such as in this example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F-102lowres.jpg (159.7 KB, 10 views)
seacookie likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago Mar 20, 2017 6:43:43 AM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

With Illustrator you can resize how much you wanna your design. If you make small logo you can resize that logo to be big as a building and you don't lose any information. With photoshop you are stucked with size you picked from a start. For example: If I start working in Photoshop on a t shirt I prepare document in a3. This will be max size of design which I will use for that design.
You can go bigger with photoshop with interpolation(photoshop makes new adjacent pixels), but I try to avoid that, cause with interpolation you lose quality of design. In Illustrator resizing doesn't matter.Imho best to know little of both programs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eM7uH4qNrw
Ripcord likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago Mar 20, 2017 7:01:40 AM -   #18 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacookie
With photoshop you are stucked with size you picked from a start.
A lot of print customers learn this the hard way. I can't tell you how many designs I've gotten over the years in which the artist has spent countless hours creating a design using a canvas size of 8 1/2 X 11" and the default 72 dpi resolution.

"It looks fine on the monitor....What's wrong with it?"

Old 1 Week Ago Mar 20, 2017 7:10:52 AM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord
A lot of print customers learn this the hard way. I can't tell you how many designs I've gotten over the years in which the artist has spent countless hours creating a design using a canvas size of 8 1/2 X 11" and the default 72 dpi resolution.

"It looks fine on the monitor....What's wrong with it?"

I still don't understand, how t-shirt stores make it happen with : put your picture and make your t-shirt modules, cause people probably just use google image...

Old 1 Week Ago Mar 20, 2017 8:52:47 AM -   #20 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacookie
I still don't understand, how t-shirt stores make it happen with : put your picture and make your t-shirt modules, cause people probably just use google image...
I talked with a guy (I ended up printing for him) and he told me he sent an image he found online to a T-shirt place that has online ordering. According to him they just printed it as is (enlarged to T-shirt size) and shipped him the shirts. Needless to say he was very disappointed.

This is a good selling point for those of us who still have contact with our customers. At the very least we can explain why low res images aren't a good idea. And to add a whole lot of value to an order we can redo the design in a vector format, provide it in a pleasing layout, show a proof, and print shirts the customer will be 100% pleased with.
seacookie likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago Mar 20, 2017 10:24:15 AM -   #21 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: James

I agree with Ripcord.

If you like Photoshop and are somewhat familiar you can start there. I would also recommend learning Illustrator.

Just so I understand what you are wanting to do, are you wanting to type something out in Photoshop and manipulate the font to create your designs?

Old 1 Week Ago Mar 20, 2017 11:59:20 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Renee

Keisha, playing around or finding local lessons in Photoshop or Illustrator is what I would recommend. Many community and art centers offer lessons in digital photography and tutorials to using Photoshop. If you are planning on creating text only images, there isn't a ton to learn.

Once you know how to set up a template (set size for printing) then you can play around with the text/type tool and layout all the different words, fonts, quotes that you want. Photoshop/Illustrator will already come preloaded with some fonts but you can always load more using websites such as DaFont - Download fonts as well.

Good luck!

Old 6 Days Ago Mar 22, 2017 6:47:19 AM -   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Also you can look up how to do "caricature drawings" and photo manipulation with PS. Massive amounts of videos on it. Like using Nik filter Bleach effect for turning actual photo into digital oil, sketch, comic art. For font or lettering or anything with solid or spot colors (no color blends) I agree with all using a Vector program. In DTG I can actually bring a 72dpi jpeg into Rip and output is wearable quality (2 plugins used). Screen Print dif animal entirely. And if you download fonts create font folder in PS common files and place there. You will use a ton of space if you install into certain popular Operating Systems. Good luck!

This is a discussion about Design help that was posted in the Graphics and Design Help section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.