T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Graphics and Design Help

Graphics and Design Help Category Sponsor

Get advice to help you create your t-shirt graphics. Discuss t-shirt design software, special effect techniques, or other topics related to creating a t-shirt design on your computer. If you'd rather hire a graphic designer to do the work for you, please post in our Referrals and Recommendations section here.

average price for a graphics artist

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 2:48:32 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default average price for a graphics artist

Hi... what is the average price for a design by a graphic artist (for a tee) ? They approach me and say they will be happy to do work, but when i ask what their pricing structure is, they say it depends on the design etc.... i know this but i would kinda like an idea to go off..... like for example this was £ 50 ...... is this too low per design, or we looking more like £300 ?? i really havent a clue to base it on? can anyone help. Thank you.

Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 4:39:20 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Paul

Default Re: Sourcing Graphic Artists for free?

IMHO $100-$150 is about the norm but you can pay a lot more or a lot less. Obviously the are a number of variables like size of design, number of colours etc
My designer is in Romania and she has agreed a fixed price for 20 designs.
Her work is excellent, has won T-shirt design contests, produced designs for major brands, and is in talks with on of the world's largest sportswear companies.The main challenge is finding someone who's style fits what you want to acheive.
Where are you in the UK Shellou maybe I can help.
Paul

Last edited by Tgraphics; October 6th, 2006 at 04:44 AM..

Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 8:32:02 AM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jasonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellou
Hi... what is the average price for a design by a graphic artist (for a tee) ? They approach me and say they will be happy to do work, but when i ask what their pricing structure is, they say it depends on the design etc...
There is no "average" price for a design. The reason it depends on the design is because some designs will take a much longer time to make than others. It also depends on the talent, skill, and experience of the designer.

If you think someone's price is too high, you can always make an offer of what you think is reasonable.

Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 1:37:27 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Fluid's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Richard
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Default Re: average price for a graphics artist

I have a pricing guide for freelance and contract work. If the art is for preprint it is based on a $75 per hour rate (Plus royalties or large flat fee) If its regular screen printing I charge $20 per color (like recreating company logo's, John's Lawn care design, etc.)
Simulated process and Index separations are $200 up to 6 colors. more colors quote is given
CMYK $250.

Every one will have their own rates. Some are worth them and others are not. You will always find someone cheaper. Is it the best thing to use them thats between you and your artists. I know a lot of artists that warrant good money for their art. As far as prepping that art for printing they have no clue. I would rather pay a llittle more for one who can gurantee the art and prints that just a regular artist. Unless your willing to pay for art and then separations. Some will include the seps in their fee's some will charge extra.
If you find someone you like , work with them for a while. Usually they (artists) will hook you up after a good working relationship. If your looking for that one job at the cheapest rate, you might be look for a while.

Old October 6th, 2006 Oct 6, 2006 3:23:54 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Thanked 5,777 Times in 3,158 Posts

Quote:
If the art is for preprint it is based on a $75 per hour rate (Plus royalties or large flat fee)
Could you clarify what you mean by "royalties"? Do you mean you require a commission for each shirt sold by the person contracting the work?

Old October 7th, 2006 Oct 7, 2006 10:01:39 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Shizzy

do people actually agree to pay royalties for a design?

Old October 7th, 2006 Oct 7, 2006 3:15:06 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Brian

fwiw, industry standard for freelancers in the action sports industry (billabong, split, volcom, etc.) is $300. Some pay more, some pay whatever they can get away with. Burton pays up to $450 if there's significant work/artwork involved. Sole Technology (Es, Emerica, Etnies) pays between $250 and $350 (simple vs. complex). It's a buyers market, which forces most freelancers into lots of spec work.

Last edited by oddica; October 7th, 2006 at 08:41 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to oddica For This Useful Post:
iketr76 (February 28th, 2008)
Old October 8th, 2006 Oct 8, 2006 3:49:26 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: GiL

Right now I don't take to many work as I have my own projects but I have prices starting at $50 for a one color design, then depending on the complexity of the design I start negotiating.

All of this depends on the person you're talking with and how much you like the artwork they create.

Old October 8th, 2006 Oct 8, 2006 8:01:58 AM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Fluid's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Richard
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Could you clarify what you mean by "royalties"? Do you mean you require a commission for each shirt sold by the person contracting the work?
Exactly. The art cost usually is on the lower end for which the royalties kick in to compensate. This practice seems to be declining with out right purchasing of the designs. This is also harder to control. Simular to Collegiate and NFL printing.

Old October 9th, 2006 Oct 9, 2006 3:38:35 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank-you so much for your advice everyone i really do appreciate it very much!! I am in Manchester, UK. Streetwear market 18-30. I like the mid/upperscale streetwear brands, like Diesel, Salvage, Guess, Buddhist Punk, Kings of Glory, Mavi, Boxfresh, Volcom, Religion, Illustrated Peolpe, Henleys...... to name a few!! I love the work of BANKSY, Neasden Control Centre, Raphael Vicenzi, Joel Lardener, julia Pfaller, Container, Vault49, Hjarta Smarta, Toshifumi Tanabu, Adhemas, Sophie Toulouse, Henri Obasi. But i was a little unsure as to whether these well know designers would be extemely high priced ?!

Old October 9th, 2006 Oct 9, 2006 8:04:14 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Well known designers will allways be high priced, that's one of the things that makes them exclusive.

But there are a lot of young and talented artists that are on the verge of starting a career so that they can be like the ones you mentioned... maybe in a few years.

Old October 10th, 2006 Oct 10, 2006 10:51:21 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: JOHN

As an artist I quote each design seperately as their are no 2 designs that are alike therefore no one price could cover certain types of design. I mean if someone wants an idea of my prices I usually email them some past work along with an idea of what something like it would cost.

Old October 10th, 2006 Oct 10, 2006 11:39:48 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logo-Mechanix
no 2 designs that are alike therefore no one price could cover certain types of design.
John speaks the absolute truth here. The difference on time spent between different designs can be massive.

Old October 10th, 2006 Oct 10, 2006 11:59:19 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I agree with that too.

Old October 10th, 2006 Oct 10, 2006 12:30:46 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Brad

I am on the design side of things as well. The difference between designs can be huge. If your company is one that they have faith in, some artists will do
work upfront for free and receive payment say of a $1 a shirt sold up until the agreement between the two of you has been reached.
In regards to royalties, that is pretty rare. Only if the artist is very well known or part of a big firm.

Tags: , , , , , ,

This is a discussion about average price for a graphics artist that was posted in the Graphics and Design Help section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.