how do I separate this design so I can give it to my screen printer to be printed? what file type to send? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Graphics and Design Help

Graphics and Design Help Category Sponsor

Get advice to help you create your t-shirt graphics. Discuss t-shirt design software, special effect techniques, or other topics related to creating a t-shirt design on your computer. If you'd rather hire a graphic designer to do the work for you, please post in our Referrals and Recommendations section here.

how do I separate this design so I can give it to my screen printer to be printed? what file type to send?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 23rd, 2010 Aug 23, 2010 2:19:08 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default how do I separate this design so I can give it to my screen printer to be printed? what file type to send?

I have a picture which I designed in Photoshop that I need to vectorized with color separation to be screen printed.

I have followed this site CMYK Four Colour Screen Printing / PCS and turned it into this:

But then I don't know what to do next. How am I supposed to save it? What file format should I save? I don't even know if I'm doing the right thing.

Old August 23rd, 2010 Aug 23, 2010 4:23:42 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default re: how do I separate this design so I can give it to my screen printer to be printed? what file type to send?

A vector of this art will not give you the transp. reds.

Old August 23rd, 2010 Aug 23, 2010 8:31:08 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Dan
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default re: how do I separate this design so I can give it to my screen printer to be printed? what file type to send?

There is no need for a 4 color CMYK sep on this design. Use spot colors, two of them it looks like (white and red). If you are sending this to a screen printer you shouldn't have to separate it, just make sure it is a vector file and they should do the separations. Sometimes seps are specific to a press and even if you were to provide a separated file, the printer would still do their own seps... Some screen printers will charge you to do seps, but in my estimation they shouldn't, it should just be a part of the job.

Old August 23rd, 2010 Aug 23, 2010 9:45:15 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I have a PSD file with all the layers in Photoshop, which file format should I save it to make it vector file? And by spot color, you mean something like my 2nd picture? Is it good enough if I give the printing that file?

Old August 24th, 2010 Aug 24, 2010 7:37:21 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Dan
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

I am not an artist but you can google how to get it into a vector file, or you could ask your printer:

How to Convert a Layered PSD File to Vector Art | eHow.com

A spot color is a pantone color, like red or white in your design, the ink the printer prints is red or white.

With 4 color process, you're mixing the 4 fixed colors (cyan magenta yellow and black) to create the appearance of red, you're not actually mixing colors, you are putting those 4 different colors next to each other in tiny dot patterns that create the appearance of a color, not the actual color itself.

Old August 24th, 2010 Aug 24, 2010 7:57:24 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

easiest step would be to send it to a graphic designer if you have one. they will work with it and seperate it in colours that will then be possible for you to make the shirts

Old August 24th, 2010 Aug 24, 2010 9:23:29 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Thanked 5,781 Times in 3,158 Posts

@Shany if you're not doing the printing, then you shouldn't have to worry about separating the colors. The screen printer you work with will (should) do that.

As long as you have high resolution (200dpi at the size you want it printed) artwork, all you need to do is email that to the printer as a PSD file and they'll be able to take it from there and print your t-shirts.

If they need any changes, they'll be able to let you know. For example, if you created the design at a low dpi and then tried to resize it "up" in photoshop, that might make a pixellated image. You'd need to start you design at the high resolution blank canvas and design it from there.

If they are asking for a vector file, you can use a service like artworksource.com or vectordoctor.com and they can take your photoshop file and make it a vector file for usually under $20.

This is a discussion about how do I separate this design so I can give it to my screen printer to be printed? what file type to send? that was posted in the Graphics and Design Help section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.