T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Graphics and Design Help

Graphics and Design Help Category Sponsor

Get advice to help you create your t-shirt graphics. Discuss t-shirt design software, special effect techniques, or other topics related to creating a t-shirt design on your computer. If you'd rather hire a graphic designer to do the work for you, please post in our Referrals and Recommendations section here.

i want to apply this kind of effect on my wings

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 12:06:36 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: mazhar
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question i want to apply this kind of effect on my wings

hi

i want to make this kid of wings

see the attached image

i have plain wings i want to apply that kind of effect on my plain wings

i m using adobe illustor

ca n any one help me please its urgent

http://tinypic.com/r/2iw4x79/6

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 12:07:23 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Default Re: i want to apply this kind of effect on my wings

http://i48.tinypic.com/2iw4x79.jpg

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 5:00:45 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Scotty

I don't think that is an automated 'effect' that can be achieved via a selection in a drop down menu. I think the effect in your image was created through manual, talented artwork. - Scotty

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 11:05:40 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Teach
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

The idea is to duplicate the image on different layers and use different opacities for the colors. The lighter color layers are set on top so that the darker colors (layers) show through. It involves a lot of work.

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 12:15:46 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: tim
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

basic art technique called shading. it gives an object depth and dimension. easier to do it by hand on paper than to do it on the computer. mask the area not to be painted and use the airbrush tool in photoshop or the brush tool in illustrator. separate layers for each color as stated above.

Old June 21st, 2010 Jun 21, 2010 4:50:49 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Marilyn

It looks like a transparency has been used to me. I may be wrong, but it looks like that one section of the wings has a transparency applied to it.

Old June 21st, 2010 Jun 21, 2010 12:33:37 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Given that you are working in vector, you need to design for the garment color in mind. Create a custom color that will be separated as a blend of two different colors, or just simply drop out the base for the 2-tone effect if it's going on a dark shirt. You'll have to figure out what works best for you and it does take practice. Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

Old June 21st, 2010 Jun 21, 2010 9:25:01 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

@ ScreenprintingDS i will try to do this

thanks scottyjr, baddjun1, miktoxic, BML Builderm ScreenprintingDS for your support

Old June 22nd, 2010 Jun 22, 2010 8:46:25 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: tim
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

it takes alot of practice and the right tools. depending on your final goal as an artist (just production work or illustration too) i would suggest getting photoshop (illustrator you have) and a wacom tablet.

here's 2 tuts i found that kinda explain the shading techniques in photoshop:

The Art of Roberto Campus » Blog Archive » Photoshop Tutorial: Bioshock Videogame Digital Painting

The Art of Roberto Campus » Blog Archive » Photoshop Tutorial: Wonder Woman Pin Up Digital Painting

Old June 27th, 2010 Jun 27, 2010 6:07:39 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I don't know if this helps, but here is a step by step example of how I would create that look;

Draw the wings (taking the blue section as the example) as vectors in illustrator, each feather has a black outline on the dark blue base layer even (though it looks like it has no outline because of the black background - the outline is set using one of the art brush options to give it it's style)
....then on another layer add the medium toned shapes (they are probably a lighter blue set to a low opacity or a white set to an even lower opacity)
...then on another layer draw the highlights again using white at a low opacity ...

The only problem you may have is that there is actually a very subtle gradient applied to it helping give the image shape and form. There also seems to be a slight (maybe gaussion?) blur applied to the layers (notice that the lines aren't sharp?) As I'm new to tshirt designing I'm not sure how much of an issue this would be in the printing process? (It would help me a tonne to know)...

the pen tool is your friend

Last edited by esmoli; June 27th, 2010 at 06:14 PM..

This is a discussion about i want to apply this kind of effect on my wings that was posted in the Graphics and Design Help section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.