T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Graphics and Design Help

Graphics and Design Help Category Sponsor

Get advice to help you create your t-shirt graphics. Discuss t-shirt design software, special effect techniques, or other topics related to creating a t-shirt design on your computer. If you'd rather hire a graphic designer to do the work for you, please post in our Referrals and Recommendations section here.

How much should a logo design require?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 26th, 2010 May 26, 2010 5:02:50 PM -   #16 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How much should a logo design require?

As mentioned by previous people here, there are many variables when it comes to logo design. I have designed lots of logos ranging from $85 to $500. To me it all comes down to the time spend doing research about the company for whome i'm doing the design. It can take me 1 day upto 2 weeks.

Old May 26th, 2010 May 26, 2010 6:31:29 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Vallians

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica729
As someone who has designed t-shirts to signs, you should be working on a per hour rate. So if its a simple design it wont take long and keeps the customers cost down. If they want a very detailed design then they have to be willing to pay for it. Also, if they ask for revision after revision then they know each time they ask for a change means more money. Most graphic designers charge anywhere from $50 to $100 an hour. vallians your crazy if you think $50 to $500 bucks is to expensive. Tell me, if i design something plus, 50 revisions and it totals to like 6 hours why i should only charge, what? $20?
Yeah... it can $20 since cost for designer in Indonesia are not expensive and still in good quality. In my office, I have my own designer to design website, company logo, brochure, etc, all.. no more than $500 he is also a multimedia lecturer in college. so, if I can get reasonable price with same quality, why not. IMHO.

Old May 26th, 2010 May 26, 2010 6:45:31 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Is an Indonesian designer going to have the same ideas on the target market as an American designer. I feel that his logo will be as effective as if I tried designing in my own style for an Indonesian market. I think my idea of the culture based on film and reading would be drastically different from the actual culture. I also agree with everyone else that a logo is one of the most important pieces of art a company will purchase. It should be the visual representation of the company and to entrust that to a high school kid or a guy across the world who will never get the chance to talk to or see the company first hand seems absolutely crazy. Plus if you support you're local economy that money will stay in the community and benefit you and your business for years to come.

Old May 27th, 2010 May 27, 2010 4:51:43 AM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: rick

Go onto elance.com and look at portfolios from artists in other countries (and inexperienced artists from anywhere including the US) and you'll see a few common threads: lots of cloned logos, fake logos, stockart logos, and massively poor typeface selections (when is Times Roman Bold appropriate for a progressive IT company logo... never). These days ask an artist to design you a logo and the first thing they do is to search Google images for a similar logo to "borrow" from. Sad, and here I am still using sketch pads...

Hey Vallians, why not post some of the logos from your artist for us to look at. You might just sway a few of us...

Old May 27th, 2010 May 27, 2010 5:17:43 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I heard volcom bought their stone logo for about 5,000 when they were starting out. So 500 sounds pretty cheap.

Old May 27th, 2010 May 27, 2010 6:52:24 AM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Vallians

here is example of the book illustrator
55 masalah seksual yang ingin anda ... - Google Buku

design for product food

design logo
belajarbisnisinternet. com

and more.. sorry, if I send link too much, moderator will thinking that I'm junker or spammer.

Yeah, it depend on the country how much salary or tariff for graphic designer. In Indonesia, if they know you are from US or speaking in English, well.. it is possible the price will raise up

Old May 28th, 2010 May 28, 2010 6:13:29 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Vallians you sound like an OK guy, hope none of us (especially me) pissed you off.

Old June 8th, 2010 Jun 8, 2010 10:14:34 AM -   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

I have an addition to the question:

What should you charge if the people who are hiring you are a small, not-for-profit animal rescue organization?
A bit of background info:
I am still a student artist, but I have had people commission work before. In those cases I charged $40-$70 depending on how involved the drawings were.
They want to use an image for a tote bag which they will sell to raise money for animal care and supplies. (I have asked if they use the image for anything else to contact me first)
I have not started drawing yet, but I know the subject really well and know that it won't take me too long to produce an image both I and the organization will be happy with.

I am trying to figure out how much to charge them. I don't want to over-charge them, considering their cause is something i believe in, but I also don't want to undercharge them, as I need money for bills and such. I'm thinking around $40-$50 for a color cartoon-like logo.

Any advice?

-Liz

Old June 8th, 2010 Jun 8, 2010 10:35:43 AM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Watch out for the words "non-profit". Non-profit just means that at the end of the year there is no money left to carry over. A lot of NP creators pay for their houses, cars, food, utilities, traveling expenses... just about everything out of the NP operating fund... "I mean it's at my house and I have to live to be able to rescue all these poodles"... many of these rescue organization also charge a "re-homing" fee of several hundreds of dollars, in cash usually - no taxes, when they place a rescued animal in a new home. Charity organizations and non-profits are usually being run by people getting salaries and perks that would make you envious... so charge normal fees, do good design work, everyone wins.

Bet I sound jaded, but I've dealt with these organizations over the years, and the people running these are usually doing very very well (like the Christian based prayer ministry that traveled to Olympic sites... the lead minister was getting paid $475,000 a year, all expenses paid).

The Following User Says Thank You to rickwTexas For This Useful Post:
eenixon (June 8th, 2010)
Old June 8th, 2010 Jun 8, 2010 10:56:22 AM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Shaggs

I live in the United States and we do some charity work for people we personally know. The understanding is our price is the same for charities and non-profits because even the charities want the same level of work and revisions as full paying customers. I do not like the tax method cheats others use. For example charging 2,000 dollars for a design and then "charitably" marking it down 1,500 so it becomes a tax write-off.

Old June 8th, 2010 Jun 8, 2010 11:41:57 AM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Something that everyone who participates in this kind of thread should read:

"Why professional logo design does not cost $5.00"
Why professional logo design does not cost $5.00

The Following User Says Thank You to 8th Day For This Useful Post:
AddVenture (June 15th, 2010)
Old June 8th, 2010 Jun 8, 2010 9:24:03 PM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am tried people taking advantage of graphic designers.

Old June 11th, 2010 Jun 11, 2010 11:44:39 AM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Chris

I totally agree with Rick from Texas, My logo designs are never under $50, that is absurd, and over $500 is absurd as well. even $500 is extremely high, that would require numerous revisions/mock-ups and more changes than you can shake a stick at. around $100-200 is average.

I provide full illustration designs if anyone is interested, and I think going off an hourly rate starting with a low quote and allowing breathing room for a couple revisions works fine. Artists should only ad charges if the client is going beyond the agreed amount of sketching/revising.

Old June 14th, 2010 Jun 14, 2010 12:21:13 PM -   #29 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Niklas

it really depends i'm a graphic designer so i need to get paid i could not live on that small amount, people think they can get it for free and they dont understand how much work it is. I have studied for over 2 years. lets make a different example
The other day someone wanted to buy one of my domains that i own for his skateshop, i told him 2k because i was going to use it for my brand and he could'nt afford it but, but a real shop and branding costs alot aswell. If you cant even afford 1k on the branding for a real shop then you should be thinking of something else.
On the net it's different you can set up a shop and start a site but you are going to sell real things and you want people to remember your design, (that there is a thought behind it). People also buy with their eyes, if they like what they see they will buy it. Take for example girls with mobiles, some just want pink mobiles they dont really care what functions it has...

Old June 15th, 2010 Jun 15, 2010 4:29:47 AM -   #30 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Niklas

And if you have a company you need alot more than $100-200 for a logo. I have allways been way to cheap so changed it now.
i did a homepage some years ago and told her $300 (very simple design and she had the layout ready) then she gave me more and told me in denmark the companies charge $3000

This is a discussion about How much should a logo design require? that was posted in the Graphics and Design Help section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.