User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

Seem like nobody using them - fruit of the loom

Like Tree14Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 4 Days Ago Apr 21, 2017 3:31:28 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Seem like nobody using them - fruit of the loom

I noticed today when one member of forum mention those t-shirts. Seems like nobody uses fruit of the loom. How come?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Days Ago Apr 21, 2017 6:40:17 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Locnar

Default Re: Seem like nobody using them - fruit of the loom

I just ordered a couple of HD cases of from AlphaBroder for future DTG printing. Their one of the few brands which makes 6XL size too.

Old 4 Days Ago Apr 21, 2017 6:42:00 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We use the L3930 ladies T. It is a good price and a good cut.
ExcelGuy likes this.

Old 4 Days Ago Apr 21, 2017 8:02:44 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Neil
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

They used to shrink more in the laundry than Gildan and Hanes. I don't know if that's still the case because I haven't used them in more than ten years.

Old 4 Days Ago Apr 21, 2017 10:32:40 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Pat

I prefer the FOTL Valueweight to the Gildan 5000, and the Super Premium to the Gildan 2000. I find them smother, and the cut is less boxy.

The FOTL 65/35 polo is a nice garment, much better than the Gildan 75800, though it is a bit more expensive.
I prefer Gildan 18500 series 50/50 hoods to FOTL 80/20 Classic Hoods. It is softer and way cheaper. The FOTL is a very course weave. the FOTL Premium 80/20 hood is nice but very expensive.

Fruit of the Looms European product is made in their own state of the art factory complex in Morocco. Staff welfare and working conditions are regarded as good. Staff are paid Moroccan minimum wage, which is low by European standards, but many Moroccan workers get paid far less.

Gildan use various factories around the world, and I have little idea of their standards.

Both companies are arrogant. The entire world, USA aside, is metric yet they both insist on selling t-shirts by the dozen. There is no excuse for it - the garments have to be labelled according to the requirements of each territory, so there is no reason why they cannot be packed in tens.
ExcelGuy likes this.

Old 3 Days Ago Apr 21, 2017 3:12:39 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
The entire world, USA aside, is metric yet they both insist on selling t-shirts by the dozen. There is no excuse for it - the garments have to be labelled according to the requirements of each territory, so there is no reason why they cannot be packed in tens.
This makes sense even for the US. 10's are easier to count. I always package printed shirts for customers folded in quantities of 10. I'm not sure where the 12 came in, which is used for eggs, doughnuts, golf balls, beer and everything else. Maybe I'll Google that......

When I was a little boy in school there was a big push to teach us all the metric system so we'd match the rest of the world. It just never caught on..... I think they tried too hard to get us to think about metric measurements in relation to how they compared with the measurements we were familiar with rather than telling us to forget the old measures and just think in terms of metric.
PatWibble likes this.

Last edited by Ripcord; 3 Days Ago at 03:23 PM..

Old 3 Days Ago Apr 21, 2017 4:33:35 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord
This makes sense even for the US. 10's are easier to count. I always package printed shirts for customers folded in quantities of 10. I'm not sure where the 12 came in, which is used for eggs, doughnuts, golf balls, beer and everything else. Maybe I'll Google that......

When I was a little boy in school there was a big push to teach us all the metric system so we'd match the rest of the world. It just never caught on..... I think they tried too hard to get us to think about metric measurements in relation to how they compared with the measurements we were familiar with rather than telling us to forget the old measures and just think in terms of metric.
Why Dozen is used for clothing, I don't know, but the origins itself are based on counting your finger bones, rather than just your fingers. Also works great for fractions. So prior to computers doing the counting for us, it had certain advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyWiki
A dozen (commonly abbreviated doz or dz) is a grouping of twelve. The dozen may be one of the earliest primitive groupings, perhaps because there are approximately a dozen cycles of the moon or months in a cycle of the sun or year. Twelve is convenient because it has the most divisors of any number under 18. The use of twelve as a base number, known as the duodecimal system (also as dozenal), originated in Mesopotamia (see also sexagesimal). This could come from counting on one's fingers by counting each finger bone with one's thumb.[citation needed] Using this method, one hand can count to twelve, and two hands can count to 144.

Old 3 Days Ago Apr 21, 2017 6:03:42 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I read up on this myself, and an English schilling was worth twelve pence, probably based on the same ancient tradition. So for many years when things were less expensive, one schilling would buy twelve of the item and they wouldn't have to make change. So the twelve apparently kept perpetuating it's significance over the years.

Old 3 Days Ago Apr 22, 2017 1:51:27 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:

Same here - it was compulsory in schools from 1974, and they pretty much dropped feet and inches.. It took 36 years (1965-2000) to fully implement the metric system. It probably only worked because industry wanted it to succeed. Retail was the last to adopt the system, and it took legislation and some high profile prosecutions to get it to stick. Road signs ( because they are safety critical) are still in MPH/miles, and cows milk and draught beer must be sold by the 'Imperial' pint ( 20 fl. oz. not 16 as in USA).

English money pre 1971 was a nightmare. 12 pennies to the shilling, but 20 shillings ( 240 pence) to the pound....

The USA is probably a large enough economy to use whatever system it wants to. Now that it is the only non metric system in use it is less open to confusion ( inches were not standardised worldwide until 1959, and volume never was standardised.)

I am happy enough buying by non metric measurements with stuff imported direct from the US - AA for example, and some chemicals. I find it weird that FOTL, with a factory dedicated to producing for Europe/Africa, still pack by the dozen.

It makes quoting for mid sized jobs complicated. Domestic and European brands are all packed in 10's, so to be competitive accross all brands I have to quote the best price possible. That means pack pricing. Customers usually give size scales in multiples of 10, so a 100 shirt order generally involves buying 10 packs of 12, if the customer wants FOTL or Gildan.

Luckily some of the warehouses sell everything at carton rate. The downside of that is that nothing comes in packs, so sorting takes longer.

Another thread successfully hijacked.
Ripcord and NoXid like this.

Old 3 Days Ago Apr 22, 2017 5:21:38 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Good question. One of my suppliers doesn't even carry them- a few cents on price goes a long way for dealers I'm sure.

Old 3 Days Ago Apr 22, 2017 7:17:07 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

In American skydiving, altitude is measured in feet but distance on the ground is measured in meters, ostensibly to compare accuracy statistics with those of other countries.

I borrowed a metric altimeter once for a jump and spent the whole freefall trying to figure out how high I was. I'm lucky that I didn't burn in while still doing the math in my head LOL.

Old 3 Days Ago Apr 22, 2017 8:55:04 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Guys thank you all for contributing to this topic.

Old 3 Days Ago Apr 22, 2017 9:38:42 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
In American skydiving, altitude is measured in feet but distance on the ground is measured in meters, ostensibly to compare accuracy statistics with those of other countries.

I borrowed a metric altimeter once for a jump and spent the whole freefall trying to figure out how high I was. I'm lucky that I didn't burn in while still doing the math in my head LOL.
Sounds like the problem NASA had when they crashed that probe into Mars
Ripcord likes this.

Old 2 Days Ago Apr 22, 2017 5:12:25 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Rick

I have an old Fruit of the Loom heavy sweater of some kind and it's my favourite of all time. Not sure if they still sell that type either. I have seen some FOTL which were very soft. I might give a couple of tees a try tho after reading this, and I found it hard finding a good T for my wife so maybe I'll give those a try. Selling mostly Gildan now for orders more than 10. Used a few American Apparel tees. Can't find a nice raglan that isn't see thru though.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Old 2 Days Ago Apr 22, 2017 5:56:30 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I started this topic cause fruit of the loom is easy to get in my country, and it was quite weird that nobody mention them. I thought maybe there is something wrong with them. But when I talked with a people they like them and they think they are good t-shirts.

This is a discussion about Seem like nobody using them - fruit of the loom that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.