What is a "Good T-Shirt Design?" - what makes it "good"? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

What is a "Good T-Shirt Design?" - what makes it "good"?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 7th, 2008 May 7, 2008 11:10:26 AM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Matt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: "Good T-Shirt Design?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wringer Tee
To me, good design is that thrill I get when I know a design is done. When I stand up from the computer, step back a few paces and look at the image and still get a tingle. To me, good design is when I ask a stranger about their shirt or spend money on a shirt when I know I should buy gas. I quess good design is a personal thing.

A profitable shirt, a design purchased by many, is more about marketing.

I would have to agree with Wringer. For me it is the same and even better when I place it in an odd location on the shirt and it grabs my senses cuz it is odd.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2008 May 7, 2008 6:40:09 PM -   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Richard

Default Re: What is a "Good T-Shirt Design?" - what makes it "good"?

Because I see clothing design the same way as I see art, it is all about meaning. What is the story behind the art? Why does your shirt show what it does? Once you have your "story" figured out, applying technical aspects is much easier.

If the story behind your design is something wild, then you might want to add lots of colors and odd placements. If it's something simple, treat your design as such.

Old May 8th, 2008 May 8, 2008 12:02:32 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Julius

MAKE IT ORIGINAL! here is my very first design. the "EMO" thing is very popular where I am at or at least making fun of it is. This is not self promotional just an example. Thanks... this was just the begining i cleaned it up before printing... but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
What is a "Good T-Shirt Design?" - what makes it "good"?-copy-fat-emo.jpg  

Old May 8th, 2008 May 8, 2008 1:10:41 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius
MAKE IT ORIGINAL! here is my very first design. the "EMO" thing is very popular where I am at or at least making fun of it is. This is not self promotional just an example. Thanks... this was just the begining i cleaned it up before printing... but you get the idea.

ROLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 10th, 2008 May 10, 2008 3:09:27 PM -   #20 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

i think it's really important to be aware of what's in fashion right now, especially if you're targeting the younger crowd

Old May 10th, 2008 May 10, 2008 6:39:06 PM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Everyone's got a different opinion on whats a good design.

But w/e the case, lead don't follow, be true to yourself and genuine when designing, be different in a good way.

Old May 12th, 2008 May 12, 2008 12:58:44 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jazz Hands Jingle Bells

A good design is one that sells a lot and a bad design is one that doesn't sell. This is a business, so nothing else matters. Oftentimes I make designs that I like but sometimes I make designs that I personally wouldn't buy because I know it would sell. Some of my most successful designs are ones I love, and some of my most successful designs are ones I wouldn't buy or wear. But I think I tend to have better luck on average with designs that I personally like a lot. I think part of this is because I have very mainstream taste. I love the summer blockbuster movies and I hate those much less successful little dramatic movies that the critics love.

Inexperienced people have a lot of wrong ideas about what is a good design. Their opinions on designs often differs quite a bit from what actually sells! N00bs know nothing about what sells and often are extremely off-the-mark when they come up with design ideas. I had a lot of pretty bad design ideas when I got started, but I've seen many other n00bs come up with far worse stuff than I did. That's why I laugh when a fresh beginner says "I have a lot of great ideas for designs." Sure you do. Don't bet the farm on it.

After having sold a lot of different designs and also having had a bunch of designs that didn't sell at all, I have learned a bunch of things about what really sells and what doesn't sell and the reasons why and why not.

Also, the more experience you have, the better your intuition becomes about what's going to be a good seller and the more often you are proven right! In the beginning, understanding what sells is extremely difficult, almost impossible. That's why you need experience.

Sometimes making designs that you really like is a successful way to make designs that sell. But not always. It depends on how many other people share your taste. If you are very in tune with a huge number of people and you come up with a hot new idea that you really love, you might have a huge success on your hands. If you are very out of tune with a large number of people, then that could spell poor sales for you.

Last edited by Rodney; May 20th, 2008 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: removed teaser information about a list that user isn't interested in sharing

The Following User Says Thank You to Bougie For This Useful Post:
BurnTees (May 20th, 2008)
Old May 19th, 2008 May 19, 2008 8:22:13 AM -   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

i adore what you wrote-
its honestly the truth!

Old May 19th, 2008 May 19, 2008 4:45:57 PM -   #24 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Lee

if alot of people like it...it is good! I sold about 300 tees that just said "results may vary" on the front and that requires no phd in design or even thought but people loved it. I turned the Nike swoosh upside down and printed 'YOU do it' beneath and that sold a lot too. If it is catchy and connects to something in the public consciousness you have a good bet. I don't bother with all that art that is way too fancy for a tee. That was big in the 80's and people are not so into it now. ideas and images that grab you quick and yet not too hard are what people mostly seem to like....I have found.

Old May 19th, 2008 May 19, 2008 5:56:22 PM -   #25 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,636 Times in 1,066 Posts

Lee I would not encourage people to use the nike swoosh with those words. It would be very easy to get a cease and desist or lawsuit for copywrite infringement with that design. Just something to be careful of.

Old May 19th, 2008 May 19, 2008 6:05:50 PM -   #26 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Lee

this was long ago...not enough tees for Nike to even care about. The reality is that these big companies cannot waste time or money going after a few joke tees. I do get your point though. You'd probably not like my COPS tee! Look around at all the bubble cars(i call them) people drive these days. Tell me they do not all look the same. (:

Old May 19th, 2008 May 19, 2008 6:29:11 PM -   #27 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,636 Times in 1,066 Posts

Its true that some people will try to get away with it but the truth is that alot of companies defend there copywrites pretty hard and nike is one of them. I myself have recieved a cease and desist for using a simple word such as onesie on my website, not even printing it so I know that companies do come after you. Alot of times they will come after the little guys a lot faster because the little guys do not have money for lawyers to go to court. I just dont want a person new in the business to come here and think because someone else did it, it must be ok and then get into trouble because they thought they would not get into trouble. That was the main reason for my response

Old May 19th, 2008 May 19, 2008 6:43:57 PM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Dan
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I know what is cool and what isn't... but i can't tell... lol...

part of the fun is thinking of an idea or design and having it takeoff...

a better idea than asking what makes a good design is to check out every shirt you can find...online... at the mall... shirts that people are wearing... and use pieces of each for inspiration... I've said too much... now everyone knows the secret...lol

Old May 19th, 2008 May 19, 2008 9:05:41 PM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolga
Design creating customer value is good design. Dersign is very important factor effecting the purchasing decision of the customer. We can find many other factor related to it. Price. accessibility quality of product.....up to our brain storming..

I dont know what is good design. I think the targeted customer should know it better than all of us.

You can always take a test group. Find a group of people that fully understand they are not required or obligated to purchase anything. Rank you're pros and cons .... and take majority rules.. Use a design more seem to like first ... and then when you're running thin or want a save another great one for a special time .. slip that one in the middle.

Old May 19th, 2008 May 19, 2008 11:55:31 PM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

When ever you can go with your heart with a brand, then the outcome will follow your energy...

Great designs are being done every day...But most of them have nothing supporting them...And to me, its all for nothing...

original sh*t will make you feel alot better then following the hurd...Will it make you money? Well, that is all up to your marketing ability...

This is a discussion about What is a "Good T-Shirt Design?" - what makes it "good"? that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.