T-Shirt Forums banner

Can I use politician's name on my t-shirt without his permission?

13K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  kiwily 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if I can print t-shirts with politicians' names without their consent? I wanted to print some of my own shirts with slogans containing mayoral candidates' names.

#2 ·
Technically, using their name or likeness without permission is a violation of their right of publicity and they can sue. However, elected officials typically do not pursue legal action because they do not want any negative media attention. So you can probably get away with it, but it's important to understand there is some level of risk.

#8 · (Edited)
pretty much political figures are open game.
Slippery slope. Political figures do not give up their Right of Publicity. They can sue if they choose to. They just usually choose not to. Fine line, but important to understand the risks and not just make assumptions.

Right Of Publicity » President Obama infringements?

there is not much they can do to you unless you pose a threat. even the guy that had a palin dummy hanging in a noose at his house couldn't be touched.

Sarah Palin effigy hung by noose in Halloween display - Telegraph
I think you may be confusing Right to Privacy and Right of Publicity.

Elected officials give up right of privacy when they take office (or even run for office). So yes, unless you pose a threat, there is low risk of legal action.

But right of publicity is completely different. It specifically protects a person's name and likeness when used on merchandise. Elected officials do not legally waive these rights at any point.

#6 ·
Thanks for pointing out the distinction. The law in Canada use to be like the US on this matter but a case went to the supreme court and was thrown out. This doesn't mean that the vendor might not be sued for defamation or libel or is it slander I can never get it right lol.
Aren't newspapers sale-able goods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.