Can I use politician's name on my t-shirt without his permission? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

Can I use politician's name on my t-shirt without his permission?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 18th, 2011 May 18, 2011 6:36:06 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Can I use politician's name on my t-shirt without his permission?

Does anyone know if I can print t-shirts with politicians' names without their consent? I wanted to print some of my own shirts with slogans containing mayoral candidates' names.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2011 May 18, 2011 6:44:20 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

kimura-mma's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Tim
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,501 Posts

Default Re: Can I use politician's name on my t-shirt without his permission?

Technically, using their name or likeness without permission is a violation of their right of publicity and they can sue. However, elected officials typically do not pursue legal action because they do not want any negative media attention. So you can probably get away with it, but it's important to understand there is some level of risk.

Old May 18th, 2011 May 18, 2011 6:58:57 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Wayne

I think you can use their name as your T-shirt is protected just like a newspaper. Now depending on what you say about them can get you in trouble.

Old May 18th, 2011 May 18, 2011 7:08:21 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Thanked 1,153 Times in 932 Posts

pretty much political figures are open game. there is not much they can do to you unless you pose a threat. even the guy that had a palin dummy hanging in a noose at his house couldn't be touched.

Sarah Palin effigy hung by noose in Halloween display - Telegraph

Old May 18th, 2011 May 18, 2011 7:15:13 PM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

kimura-mma's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali514
I think you can use their name as your T-shirt is protected just like a newspaper.
Not sure about Canada, but this is not true of US law. T-shirts are salable goods, not a source of news information.

Salable goods are governed under the Lanham Act, which protects trademarks and right of publicity.

Old May 18th, 2011 May 18, 2011 7:21:00 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Wayne

Thanks for pointing out the distinction. The law in Canada use to be like the US on this matter but a case went to the supreme court and was thrown out. This doesn't mean that the vendor might not be sued for defamation or libel or is it slander I can never get it right lol.
Aren't newspapers sale-able goods.

Old May 18th, 2011 May 18, 2011 7:25:45 PM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali514
Aren't newspapers sale-able goods.
Are they tangible goods sold to consumers? Yes. But are they governed under the Lanham Act? No.

The law draws the line.

Newspapers are considered a media source, like tv and radio. Not a salable good, like t-shirts.

The Following User Says Thank You to kimura-mma For This Useful Post:
Cali514 (May 18th, 2011)
Old May 18th, 2011 May 18, 2011 7:34:56 PM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
pretty much political figures are open game.
Slippery slope. Political figures do not give up their Right of Publicity. They can sue if they choose to. They just usually choose not to. Fine line, but important to understand the risks and not just make assumptions.

Right Of Publicity » President Obama infringements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
there is not much they can do to you unless you pose a threat. even the guy that had a palin dummy hanging in a noose at his house couldn't be touched.

Sarah Palin effigy hung by noose in Halloween display - Telegraph
I think you may be confusing Right to Privacy and Right of Publicity.

Elected officials give up right of privacy when they take office (or even run for office). So yes, unless you pose a threat, there is low risk of legal action.

But right of publicity is completely different. It specifically protects a person's name and likeness when used on merchandise. Elected officials do not legally waive these rights at any point.

Last edited by kimura-mma; May 18th, 2011 at 07:40 PM..

Old May 18th, 2011 May 18, 2011 8:22:35 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thank you everyone for your replies.

This is a discussion about Can I use politician's name on my t-shirt without his permission? that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.