User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.
Belquette

Conveyor Dryer

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 7th, 2017 Mar 7, 2017 8:24:37 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Conveyor Dryer

I'm thinking about adding a conveyor dryer to help increase efficiency. Currently I have a Hotronix auto clam, but for me a single heatpress creates a bottleneck since there often isn't enough time to pretreat, cure the pretreat and then cure a print in the time it takes to print a garment and I would like to have the machine print with minimal idle time.

Are there any certain requirements for a conveyor dryer I should be aware of for curing DTG prints, specifically for the F2000? Is forced air required? The unit I'm thinking about is the Vastex Little Red X1 which doesn't have forced air. I would need something with a small footprint and that's around $3000 or less.

The other option would be to add a second heapress like the Hotronix Hover press, but I'm thinking the conveyor dryer would be less labor intensive and quicker to load. I also have a small screen printing setup that I use for certain designs/orders so the conveyor dryer would greatly speed things up there; as of now I'm doing my final cure on the heat press (plastisol prints) which is not no very fun or efficient.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2017 Mar 7, 2017 8:33:48 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,041 Times in 890 Posts

Default Re: Conveyor Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressed123
I'm thinking about adding a conveyor dryer to help increase efficiency. Currently I have a Hotronix auto clam, but for me a single heatpress creates a bottleneck since there often isn't enough time to pretreat, cure the pretreat and then cure a print in the time it takes to print a garment and I would like to have the machine print with minimal idle time.

Are there any certain requirements for a conveyor dryer I should be aware of for curing DTG prints, specifically for the F2000? Is forced air required? The unit I'm thinking about is the Vastex Little Red X1 which doesn't have forced air. I would need something with a small footprint and that's around $3000 or less.

The other option would be to add a second heapress like the Hotronix Hover press, but I'm thinking the conveyor dryer would be less labor intensive and quicker to load. I also have a small screen printing setup that I use for certain designs/orders so the conveyor dryer would greatly speed things up there; as of now I'm doing my final cure on the heat press (plastisol prints) which is not no very fun or efficient.

Thank you in advance for any input.

A conveyor dryer would work for the Epson F2000 but it would have to be the right type. Please note that all direct to garment inks are water based inks so a dryer with hot air is required. The Vastex dryer you mentioned would not work well. Vastex does make conveyor dryers for dtg printing, with hot air flow, but they will cost considerably more. Black Body also has conveyor dryers designed for dtg printing.

_

Old March 7th, 2017 Mar 7, 2017 1:16:29 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Geno

You'll also have to take note that if you place your F2000 in the same room as a belt dryer will that dryer reduce the humidity in the room to such low levels that the DTG will not like it. Just a thought.

I have 2 Geo Knight presses and that does the trick for me. No longer waiting for a spot on the heat press.

Old March 7th, 2017 Mar 7, 2017 3:15:52 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Good point about the humidity. I suppose with forced air that would be an issue, and less of an issue for a dryer without forced air. It's too bad that a dryer without forced air will not work with dtg.

Does anyone know if a dryer without forced air will cure the DTG Print enough so that it's dry to the touch and I can hang the garments on a rack and then do a final cure on the heat press for a short duration of maybe 10-15 seconds and the end of printing?

Old March 8th, 2017 Mar 8, 2017 4:24:31 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Phil

you MIGHT justabout get away with the Little red twin hean (is that the X2?) but the X1 will not dry and cure your prints properly, particularly on darks with a white underbase.
You could put through twice, but garment will cool down a lot .....
I was tempted by the little red, standard socket etc, but only just suitable for plastisol screen inks, and only just .... no other screen inks, and defo not dtg. Go see, get samples and wash off your design 1st wash. thats what happened to me ...

Old March 9th, 2017 Mar 9, 2017 3:26:22 PM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrigby
you MIGHT justabout get away with the Little red twin hean (is that the X2?) but the X1 will not dry and cure your prints properly, particularly on darks with a white underbase.
You could put through twice, but garment will cool down a lot .....
I was tempted by the little red, standard socket etc, but only just suitable for plastisol screen inks, and only just .... no other screen inks, and defo not dtg. Go see, get samples and wash off your design 1st wash. thats what happened to me ...

These smaller conveyor dryers can work fine for textile screen printing using plastisol inks. Plastisol inks are basically vinyl and they just need to be heated to a certain temperature and the inks fuse. Once they fuse they're dry - no need to keep it under heat any longer. With the water based inks we use in direct to garment printers, you need to dry off all the water vapor in the inks. You need to get the inks up to a certain temperature and then keep them at that temperature for a period of time in order to drive off the water vapor. So hot air and the length of the heat chamber all are important factors in getting this done.

_

Old March 9th, 2017 Mar 9, 2017 5:44:20 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Can anyone actually list some specific dryers that are actually known to work well for DTG? BBC, Vastex, or other brands but please be more specific than just the brand name.

We need to replace our dryer we use for screen printing anyway and if I can spend a little more and use it for both I would. I was looking at Vastex dryers but am open to any suggestions. I would prefer to stay around 5k but would go up to 10k if they features/quality of the dryer justify it.

Old March 9th, 2017 Mar 9, 2017 6:48:33 PM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsc
Can anyone actually list some specific dryers that are actually known to work well for DTG? BBC, Vastex, or other brands but please be more specific than just the brand name.

We need to replace our dryer we use for screen printing anyway and if I can spend a little more and use it for both I would. I was looking at Vastex dryers but am open to any suggestions. I would prefer to stay around 5k but would go up to 10k if they features/quality of the dryer justify it.

Here are 2 of the smaller size dryers that will work for dtg printing:

Vastex BR4-V30

Black Body Air 2408

_

Old March 11th, 2017 Mar 11, 2017 10:44:34 AM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Black Body also has a new large conveyor dryer geared to dtg printing.

_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New_dryer_1.jpg (1.05 MB, 23 views)

Old March 13th, 2017 Mar 13, 2017 10:14:49 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Geno

Dang 8K and up for "mini dryers". I'll take my two Geo Knight $1,200 presses any day.

Old May 6th, 2017 May 6, 2017 3:16:31 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Would a Brown UltraSierra X series dryer work well. Looks like they are decent size and have forced air. There also seems to be a decent amount of used ones available at decent prices.

Old May 8th, 2017 May 8, 2017 8:53:57 AM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I believe these are more suited for screen printing use with plastisol inks then with the water based inks used for direct to garment printers.

_

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 9, 2017 9:38:54 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

We stuck our DTG equipment next to an underused 8' BBC IR panel conveyor dryer intended for plastisol only that does not have forced air.

Here's our results:
  • Pretreating quickly is one of the biggest advantages. Basically as fast as you can load the pretreat machine and place on the dryer.
  • Looks better than pressing. Pressing adds to the pretreat box look. On garments like CH MC1082 can barely tell it was pretreated.
  • Shirt fibers stick up a lot after going thru dryer. Need to heat press before printing.
  • Prints cure prints fine we did wash testing.
  • White shirts = scorch city when trying to cure. We still cure them in the heat press.

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 16, 2017 7:01:43 AM -   #14 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I have heard that Vastex is shortly coming out with a new model conveyor dryer specifically made for direct to garment print drying.

_

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 16, 2017 8:11:32 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Large DTG operations use conveyor, not sure why the equipment brokers push heat press when the results are a lot less efficient

video of a 150 machine shop here. all conveyor dryers.

This is a discussion about Conveyor Dryer that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.