User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

Can I get a little advice please?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mgparrish

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago Jun 18, 2017 3:20:34 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Jay
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Can I get a little advice please?

Hello!

I'm new to t-shirting. I'm a photographer, who has the opportunity to get a used f6070 or a new sg800. I tried the Epson 1430 with CISS for a day and was done with that (cartridges not recognizing) Ultimately I would like to print things larger than t-shirts, but for starters I am wondering if the f6070 will meet all of my possible t-shirt needs. I'd like to end up printing large format photos on faux canvas and metallic prints. My initial thought is to invest in the f6070 first and grow in to it while making t-shirts, but that is me making a decision with no experience with either machine. I am seeking input on whether or not my way of thinking is correct or if I need to explore other avenues.

I do have a strong interest in making T-shirts and flags using my photos.
Thanks in advance for any advice. Jay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 18, 2017 4:11:58 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Larry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Can I get a little advice please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHE
Hello!

I tried the Epson 1430 with CISS for a day and was done with that (cartridges not recognizing) Jay
You gave up too easily....there are simple fixes for the problem you ran into with the 1430, it's a common issue but usually is fixable. I have 2 of them along with the 7110. I don't have any experience with the ones you are now looking at so hopefully others will chime in on them. What did you do with the 1430?

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 18, 2017 4:23:18 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I still have it. I think I may have bought a bad brand of CISS or something. I tried everything I could find on the net. I got a InkXPro off Amazon. It just will not recognize the cartridges. I was at it for 14 hours straight. LOL What CISS do you use? I would love to get it to work. When I pop the original back in, no problem. Opposed to a phone call? Thanks Jay

This one:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 19, 2017 1:35:30 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
I still have it. I think I may have bought a bad brand of CISS or something. I tried everything I could find on the net. I got a InkXPro off Amazon. It just will not recognize the cartridges. I was at it for 14 hours straight. LOL What CISS do you use? I would love to get it to work. When I pop the original back in, no problem. Opposed to a phone call? Thanks Jay

This one:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hi Jay, I and a lot of others use Cobra Inks. I tried the CIS a long tim ago and gave up on that system, too many problems for me. I use Cobras refillable cartridges and am very happy.

https://www.cobraink.com/

Just a quick search on topics here;

T-Shirt Forums - Search Results for Cobra Inks

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 19, 2017 8:51:41 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Graphics
I use Cobras refillable cartridges and am very happy.

T-Shirt Forums - Search Results for Cobra Inks
Thank you.
So no problem with the printer recognizing the non-Epson Cartridge?

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 19, 2017 9:41:57 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Regarding printers - keep in mind that the other half of the equation is the press. You can have a large format printer but in reality unless you have a press to match you just have a large desktop. Used wide format printers can be real tricky and you need to find out as much as you can about. Keep in mind with dye sub the number one printer failure is the print head. On a wide format that will run you about $4K to replace with the dampers. With the older Epsons you were able to run a system "check" that would show the amount of use on key parts. I assume you can do the same with the newer models. You really want to know how much use the head has on it. You also want to verify the print test showing the nozzles is 100% clear. If you have channels that are not 100% - run.

Regarding your targeted products. I would waste little time on "t-shirts" as the market is so crowded unless you are simply offering a shirt to an existing client. Your faux canvas and metal prints will bring much higher margins and show off professional photography work really well. Best of luck

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 19, 2017 3:26:13 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Thank you.
So no problem with the printer recognizing the non-Epson Cartridge?
All mine work.....

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 19, 2017 8:19:21 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Viper Graphics, I called they're sold out of refillables. Gonna keep checking. I want it to work.

Last edited by BigHE; 1 Week Ago at 08:25 PM..

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 20, 2017 2:18:45 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Viper Graphics, I called they're sold out of refillables. Gonna keep checking. I want it to work.
For the 1430 these show in stock, but again, don't buy based on my word please read my earlier post to see what others have said also. And double check with cobra that this is the set you would need for your printer.

https://www.cobraink.com/store/#!/Co...egory=20810212

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 20, 2017 10:12:25 AM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,104 Times in 944 Posts

Quote:
Hello!

I'm new to t-shirting. I'm a photographer, who has the opportunity to get a used f6070 or a new sg800. I tried the Epson 1430 with CISS for a day and was done with that (cartridges not recognizing) Ultimately I would like to print things larger than t-shirts, but for starters I am wondering if the f6070 will meet all of my possible t-shirt needs. I'd like to end up printing large format photos on faux canvas and metallic prints. My initial thought is to invest in the f6070 first and grow in to it while making t-shirts, but that is me making a decision with no experience with either machine. I am seeking input on whether or not my way of thinking is correct or if I need to explore other avenues.

I do have a strong interest in making T-shirts and flags using my photos.
Thanks in advance for any advice. Jay
Most new people get confused on "cartridges not recognized". This can be normal operation if the printer guesses the ink is too low, instead of displaying "ink low" or "ink empty" after martket carts when they are depleted the printer will just show "cartridges not recognized". This just means you refill and reset the cart.

It is also possible for a defective cart to show the same indication however.

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 20, 2017 11:57:34 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Graphics
For the 1430 these show in stock, but again, don't buy based on my word please read my earlier post to see what others have said also. And double check with cobra that this is the set you would need for your printer.

https://www.cobraink.com/store/#!/Co...egory=20810212
I checked with Cobra Inks yesterday before posting that. The rep said I needed Code 79 which they are out in the refillable option at the moment. They have single use. You are successfully using Code 77 refillables in your 1430 though?

Thanks

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 20, 2017 11:59:46 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgparrish
Most new people get confused on "cartridges not recognized". This can be normal operation if the printer guesses the ink is too low, instead of displaying "ink low" or "ink empty" after martket carts when they are depleted the printer will just show "cartridges not recognized". This just means you refill and reset the cart.

It is also possible for a defective cart to show the same indication however.
Ink was completely full and air removed from the lines. It just simply won't work. Are you having success specifically, with INKXPRO, their CISS and the 1430?

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 20, 2017 12:26:54 PM -   #13 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,104 Times in 944 Posts

Quote:
Ink was completely full and air removed from the lines. It just simply won't work. Are you having success specifically, with INKXPRO, their CISS and the 1430?
Air has nothing to do with that error message.

When the printer sees 3rd party carts it will indicate that the cart cannot be recognized when the printer thinks those carts are near empty.

I use Cobra refillable carts on the WF7110 and WF7610.

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 20, 2017 1:10:28 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
I checked with Cobra Inks yesterday before posting that. The rep said I needed Code 79 which they are out in the refillable option at the moment. They have single use. You are successfully using Code 77 refillables in your 1430 though?

Thanks
My Bad, you need the 79 for the 1430 correct.

This is a discussion about Can I get a little advice please? that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.