Frequently Asked Questions in the Dye Sublimation Forum: New here? Read Me - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

Frequently Asked Questions in the Dye Sublimation Forum: New here? Read Me

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 16th, 2007 Jul 16, 2007 11:58:12 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Frequently Asked Questions in the Dye Sublimation Forum: New here? Read Me

Q: Have you got some information on large format dye sublimation printing?
How is this done?

Q: What t-shirt blanks are suitable for dye sublimation?
Vapor Apparel
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/wholesa...rts/t6553.html

Q: Where can I source other things to decorate?
where to buy sublimatable products

Q: I'm try to sublimate performance fabrics, got any info?
Sublimating Performance Polyester

Note: This list is incomplete, you can help the forums by contributing to it! Have a favourite dye sublimation thread? Post it up!

The above threads are not necessarily definitive (particularly those on blanks), I'm sure there are other great threads on the topics. So if you have better threads that answer the above questions, feel free to post those too.

We want a few of the best threads on each topic, so when better examples are found we can replace the weaker ones with those.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2007 Jul 22, 2007 3:16:13 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jasonda
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: Frequently Asked Questions in the Dye Sublimation Forum: New here? Read Me

Does dye sublimation *have* to be on the polyester style tees?

Old December 17th, 2010 Dec 17, 2010 10:17:54 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 5,988 Times in 3,222 Posts

Default Re: Frequently Asked Questions in the Dye Sublimation Forum: New here? Read Me

Q: What equipment and supplies will I need to start doing dye sublimation?

A: what equipment and supplies will I need to start doing dye sublimation?

Old March 30th, 2011 Mar 30, 2011 8:10:22 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Justin

Any dye sublimation and cut and sew shops on the East Coast? More the NY, NJ, CT, PA area?

Old March 12th, 2012 Mar 12, 2012 11:12:31 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

thanks for these.http://www.nobod.info/g.gif

Old June 18th, 2013 Jun 18, 2013 7:08:05 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Stacie

I'm new at sublimation, and am wondering if there is a difference between sublimation and unisub? (please excuse my "numbness" on the topic);-)

Old June 18th, 2013 Jun 18, 2013 8:29:53 AM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,100 Times in 940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette
I'm new at sublimation, and am wondering if there is a difference between sublimation and unisub? (please excuse my "numbness" on the topic);-)
sublimation is the heat transfer process ... "unisub" is a trademark of a company that make blank items to be sublimated.

http://www.unisub.com/

Old June 18th, 2013 Jun 18, 2013 8:45:00 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Stacie

Ok, thanks for clearing that up! I wasn't sure as I was trying to print on some darker plaques and I can't get the print to show up, so I must be doing something wrong.

Old February 6th, 2014 Feb 6, 2014 8:28:37 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Bret

I am new to the dye sub thing and I have a question.
How much of the printed image should be left on paper after pressing a garment .
All equipment and supplies are from coastal ( all new )
pressed garment 5 seconds
placed image
firm pressure 35 seconds @ 405 degrees , at the end of cycle temp dropped to 395 .
print looked okay but not as vibrant as samples that I have seen , should I crank heat up so that temp does not drop below 400 ?
The press is a dk 20 and usually holds temps well but it was a cold night

Old February 6th, 2014 Feb 6, 2014 8:43:20 AM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSSKOBRET
I am new to the dye sub thing and I have a question.
How much of the printed image should be left on paper after pressing a garment .
All equipment and supplies are from coastal ( all new )
pressed garment 5 seconds
placed image
firm pressure 35 seconds @ 405 degrees , at the end of cycle temp dropped to 395 .
print looked okay but not as vibrant as samples that I have seen , should I crank heat up so that temp does not drop below 400 ?
The press is a dk 20 and usually holds temps well but it was a cold night
It's not the inks that transfer it is the disperse dye (sublimation dye) that transfers. The ink on the paper is only used as a "carrier" to get the dyes to the paper.

The image where the ink sits on the paper will change when heat pressing but won't be removed, this is normal.

Your temp is OK, try increasing your dwell. Also, are you using near 100% poly fabric?

Other "vibrancy" issues can be due to color management problems, paper issue (poor paper or printing on wrong side of paper), or even paper type settings in your printer driver.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgparrish For This Useful Post:
OSSKOBRET (February 6th, 2014)
Old February 6th, 2014 Feb 6, 2014 8:50:48 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

yes the garments are 100 % white poly
the reason I asked about the image transfer is when I pressed a mouse pad the image on the paper was very faint after pressing but the garment i did last night the image is still strong on the paper.
what would you say the max dwell should be

Old February 6th, 2014 Feb 6, 2014 8:59:21 AM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSSKOBRET
yes the garments are 100 % white poly
the reason I asked about the image transfer is when I pressed a mouse pad the image on the paper was very faint after pressing but the garment i did last night the image is still strong on the paper.
what would you say the max dwell should be
Depends on the fabric. Dwell can be in the 30 - 60 seconds range. Max would rarely be longer than 60 seconds. Mousepads generally I do 50 - 60 seconds.

What is your printer model and ink brand?

Old February 6th, 2014 Feb 6, 2014 9:01:42 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

printer is a ricoh 7100
inks are sawgrass sublijet r

Old July 26th, 2015 Jul 26, 2015 1:36:36 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Hannah

Hi got a question and don't know where to post it. Bought Ricoh 2100 printer and sublimation ink off amazon. Didn't install the ink from the printer instead put the sublimation ink in straight away. Printed onto mug sized sublimation paper, print was clear and same colours as on my screen. (Printed from illustrator). I tape the image to the sublimation mug used the mug wrap and after it had been in the oven I cooled it down in tepid water. My image was just yellow on the mug. Did this twice, with the same results.

Anyone know what part of the process needs changing?
g188 likes this.

Old April 11th, 2016 Apr 11, 2016 3:20:35 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Ignas

Hi I am kind of new in sublimation. I want to ask on what t-shirts percentage of cotton and polyster I can print? I mean whats the minimum polyster percentage for sublimation?

This is a discussion about Frequently Asked Questions in the Dye Sublimation Forum: New here? Read Me that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.