User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

Before you get into DTG, things you need to know

Like Tree23Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 12th, 2008 Apr 12, 2008 9:49:11 AM -   #1 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,157 Times in 935 Posts

Default Before you get into DTG, things you need to know

DTG printing is the most exciting thing to happen to the garment industry since automatic screen machines and dyesub. There are, however, things you need to know.

1) the ink has a shelf life. the longer it sits around the bigger the chance you will have bad ink.

2) production times are nowhere near screen printing. while you can print short runs profitably, longer runs need much better control of costs to be competitive.

3) printing a single shirt can take 4 minutes or more from start to finish.

3) this is a complicated piece of equipment with close tolerances. not paying attention to that fact will yield nothing but frustration.

4) these machines like to run. the more you run it the happier it will be. the less you run it or the longer it just sits around the more chance you will have for problems like head clogs.

5) the ink is expensive.

6) pressing the shirts after printing adds to the time to print, consider a tunnel dryer like screen printers use.

7) color matching is a big issue. make sure you understand how colors work on a pc, how that are translated in the rip, and how your machine treats them.

8) unlike screen printing or embroidery, bitmaps (raster images) are your friend. imo this is one huge advantage over other forms of decorating.

did i miss anything
kingwoo and WGiant like this.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to binki For This Useful Post:
antes (April 5th, 2011), Bootstrap Thread (November 28th, 2011), DCans (September 16th, 2009), djstep84 (January 4th, 2012), Justin Walker (July 16th, 2009), kingwoo (June 16th, 2014), LuvAmericanStyle (October 11th, 2010), Mistewoods (September 20th, 2009), poker (July 27th, 2009), Rodney (October 22nd, 2012), RokNRich (October 16th, 2011), Srag (July 11th, 2010), sunnydayz (July 16th, 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2008 Apr 12, 2008 10:36:33 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default re: Before you get into DTG, things you need to know

The cost to print a shirt remains fairly constant, whether you print 1 or 1,000 of the same design, so you really can't offer much of a quantity discount on larger orders...possibility consider using traditional screen-printing for big orders.
Make sure you get the correct price for your work to cover your ROI (return on investment).
Also most models need to be in a climate controlled environment.
Also need a separate area for pretreatment, and if not done correctly, can cause print quality issues.
Need to have a separate, dedicated electric circuit.
Most all the models using white ink will need DAILY maintenance; if not done correctly you'll have head clogs & other print issues.
Don't be the first to purchase the "new" model; wait a bit & see how this model works out.
Understand that this industry is changing rapidly; the machine model you purchase today will probably be out of production within 1-2 years, and parts availability may become an issue.
Most models have the ability to print other items, such as coasters, mouse pads, etc.
DTG in NOT a replacement for traditional screen printing.
Take the time to read thru the threads on this forum; there's lot's of really good info on most of the popular mfgs, both good & bad; go to a show & see them in action before making a purchase.
I'm sure there's more......

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fdsales For This Useful Post:
djstep84 (January 4th, 2012), RokNRich (October 16th, 2011), Srag (July 11th, 2010), sunnydayz (July 16th, 2009), Tat2uClothing (September 17th, 2009)
Old April 13th, 2008 Apr 13, 2008 12:11:47 AM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Byron
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Thanks, Fred and Brian. I need all the infos I can get before I take the DTG plunge. What printers are you using, and do you do black shirts?

Old July 15th, 2009 Jul 15, 2009 12:03:08 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Andy

There seems to be a few new people on the board lately so I thought it was worth bringing this topic back to the top.

Andy

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to abmcdan For This Useful Post:
DCans (September 16th, 2009), MetroMan (October 21st, 2014), MisTeeTiny (July 27th, 2009), sunnydayz (July 15th, 2009)
Old July 15th, 2009 Jul 15, 2009 12:26:48 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Don

Pretty sage wisdom when you look back 15 months! I'd like to add another thing or two:

1. You can buy the best direct to garment printer on the market and if you don't have a plan to keep it busy, it won't make you any money and will sit idle, causing atrophy issues

2. Consider all aspects of owning a direct to garment printer before buying one - cost of supplies, cost of consumable parts (printheads, capping stations, dampers, cartridges etc), warranty information as well as training options and costs.

3. Set realistic pricing for your output - don't undercharge in order to start your business up, it is a tough reputation to overcome!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Don-ColDesi For This Useful Post:
DCans (September 16th, 2009), duca (July 21st, 2009), Justin Walker (July 16th, 2009), Srag (July 11th, 2010), sunnydayz (July 15th, 2009)
Old July 16th, 2009 Jul 16, 2009 1:00:21 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I would like to add,

Research the dealer / manufacture you buy the machine from, these machines are all high maintance compared with most other inkjets and good support from the manufacture / dealer can be worth a fortune and defintly worth paying a little extra for in the long run.
Check the details of the warrenty (on site vs return to manufacture) (3 months vs 12 months) and what extended warrently will cost once the initial warrenty expires.

I never buy warrenty on desktop printers or PC's, but if I was buying a DTG machine I would certainly want it.

Best regards

-David

The Following User Says Thank You to cavedave For This Useful Post:
sunnydayz (July 16th, 2009)
Old July 16th, 2009 Jul 16, 2009 7:15:00 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmcdan
There seems to be a few new people on the board lately so I thought it was worth bringing this topic back to the top.

Andy
Thanks Andy, Perhaps Rodney should put this in the "highlighted threads" area. The wisdom here is a "must see" for any newbie. We still see alot of people make the same mistakes.

Old July 16th, 2009 Jul 16, 2009 8:09:12 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Andy

You should also get some training in basic artwork stuff. Adobe Photoshop is a good software that will be compatible with most any files you will receive. There are people here that also use Corel.

Things you should know about artwork (Off the top of my head, chime in if I'm incorrect or left something out):

1.) DPI - Most importantly know that graphics off of the internet are usually 72 dpi and typically you need a 150 dpi image or better for the highest print quality. Just because it looks nice on screen doesn't mean it will print nice. Garbage In = Garbage Out

2.) Know the difference between the common file types: .jpg, .gif, .psd, .png, .eps

3.) Basic image manipulation: Since what is shown on screen might be different than the printed image you may need to change the image to get the correct output. Lighten and Darken, etc..

It would be great if someone that has a DTG printer but started out with very limited computer skills and new to the printing industry would give us a list of what they found difficult or had to learn.

Andy

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abmcdan For This Useful Post:
Srag (July 11th, 2010), sunnydayz (July 16th, 2009)
Old July 23rd, 2009 Jul 23, 2009 2:52:10 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Wayne

I think I can help in that department Andy.
I know a lot about the workings of a computer, even built one from scratch once. But graphics, didn’t know squat. I have learned much about graphics via the net and now consider myself a fairly good graphics manipulator (no way calling myself an artist).
DTG printers in general, the more knowledge you have before buying, the better off you’ll be. They can be your best friend when they work right but when things go wrong (and they will) it makes you yearn for a gallon of gas and a match.
I had to learn EVERYTHING about this industry, knowing zip when I started looking. Boards like this one are great as they give you other brains to pick. I have learned a lot since reading this board, too bad I found it after I purchased a printer. There is always something new to learn, whether it’s graphic design or picking up a tip from someone else. Probably the most important piece of advice I would give anyone who wants to enter this industry is do your homework!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fun-Ts For This Useful Post:
soldier king (April 16th, 2015), Tat2uClothing (September 17th, 2009)
Old July 27th, 2009 Jul 27, 2009 12:07:27 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Alright.. keep the tips coming..

Old July 27th, 2009 Jul 27, 2009 6:13:51 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

A thing that I would add to the list that wasn't was much of an issue 15 months ago as it appears to be now. The marketplace for used machines had grown significantly in the past 12 months (in part due to the economy - some businesses going under and others trying to save a dime). If you have not used a direct to garment printer before (or have good experience with other specialty printers like large format eco-sol printers) - the savings you realize in the purchse of a used machine from an individual may not be worht the hassles you will experience after the fact. I would suggest that, if buying a used machine from an individual, that you do so only if you are able to see the unit in operation OR have gotten such a good deal that the potential expenses you may incur won't make it a bad deal.

Old July 27th, 2009 Jul 27, 2009 6:16:41 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brad

good call Don, some of these machines are probably being unloaded too because they aren't working. Insist on seeing it in production, not just cleaned and ready to go. You could be buying a boat anchor. I would say paperweight, but who uses those anymore?

Old July 27th, 2009 Jul 27, 2009 6:18:05 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
You could be buying a boat anchor. I would say paperweight, but who uses those anymore?
Who can afford a boat anymore?

Old July 27th, 2009 Jul 27, 2009 11:30:17 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Melissa

Wow! Thanks for re-posting this! I am one of those newbies and was looking into DTG but I figured I should start out with Plastisols first! Trying to bring my cost down from screen printing since I don't move my inventory very fast, plus my wholesale profit margin is really tight.

Old September 16th, 2009 Sep 16, 2009 3:15:56 PM -   #15 (permalink)
BSB
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Before you get into DTG, things you need to know

You say do your homework...Where do you look for that homework? The more I read the more confused I get. I do small jobs and want to trade my screen print machine in for a DTG printer so I can offer more options and 1 ups but I am confused on which one to buy.

This is a discussion about Before you get into DTG, things you need to know that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.