Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Need to Register?

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

Cad-Cut Direct Help Forums

PLEASE NOTE: The CAD-CUT Direct Support Forums are hosted by T-ShirtForums.com.

In order to post a question here, you will need to fill out the quick T-ShirtForums.com Registration form here to get new login details that you'll use to access the forum.

This will be separate from any login information you have for Stahls'. After you login to T-ShirtForums.com, this notice will automagically disappear :)

+   T-Shirt Forums > Official Company Sponsored Support Forums > CAD-CUT Direct Help Forums
Officially sponsored help forums for CAD-CUT Direct. Get help from fellow customers and official company representatives about products sold by CAD-CUT Direct.

How to apply Stahl's foils

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 24th, 2013 Dec 24, 2013 8:46:29 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default How to apply Stahl's foils

Hello,
I just watched a Stahl's video on applying foil over an Exact Print transfer. I thought this was a new product but apparently not. A list of compatible laser printers was out of date. Furthermore, I found posts in this forum over 5 years old talking about the problems of Exact Print transfers washing out or disintegrating the first time they were dried. My questions:

(1) Has Exact Print improved or is it an older technology?
(2) Is there a list of current laser printers that work with Exact Print paper?
(3) What is the most current, preferred method of applying heat transfer foil to a garment - creating a plastisol transfer then applying over it?
Thanks,
- Steve

Old December 28th, 2013 Dec 28, 2013 7:55:35 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Loretta
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default Re: How to apply Stahl's foils

I use my foil with plastisol or foil adhesive. I don't have a laser printer, so I do it the old fashioned way. Mine have held up really well.

The Following User Says Thank You to lben For This Useful Post:
Nick Horvath (December 30th, 2013)
Old December 28th, 2013 Dec 28, 2013 8:07:36 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Sponsor
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ed
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,103 Times in 1,023 Posts

Using a heat transfer press, the foil is transferred to the fabric on top of a receptive ink or plastisol which has been previously applied to the fabric.
www.proworldinc.com Amazing $99 heat press. #1 in the U.S. 1000's of Stock Transfer designs. Custom Transfers...Vinyl, Sublimation. Starter Packages. In business Since 1973

The Following User Says Thank You to proworlded For This Useful Post:
Nick Horvath (December 30th, 2013)
Old December 30th, 2013 Dec 30, 2013 9:30:50 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Nick
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano
Hello,
I just watched a Stahl's video on applying foil over an Exact Print transfer. I thought this was a new product but apparently not. A list of compatible laser printers was out of date. Furthermore, I found posts in this forum over 5 years old talking about the problems of Exact Print transfers washing out or disintegrating the first time they were dried. My questions:

(1) Has Exact Print improved or is it an older technology?
(2) Is there a list of current laser printers that work with Exact Print paper?
(3) What is the most current, preferred method of applying heat transfer foil to a garment - creating a plastisol transfer then applying over it?
Thanks,
- Steve
Exactprint is not older technology. Unfortunately, our list is out of date.

I recommend that you test the paper in your printer to make sure it is compatible. We offer free samples for this.

That said, the best results that I have seen is using with an OKI printer.

HP and Dell are not compatible.

Thank you,

Nick

Old December 30th, 2013 Dec 30, 2013 2:07:15 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Thank you all for your responses!

It sounds like my options, in ascending order of cost, are:

(1) Cut my foil design (with a vinyl cutter I presume), apply adhesive, then press.
(2) Buy an inexpensive Okidata monochrome laser (darn - I have an HP), add the base layer to the garment, then press the foil over it.
(3) Have a one color plastisol transfer made (pricey if you don't need 25 or so of the same design) then apply the foil

- Steve

Old December 31st, 2013 Dec 31, 2013 7:09:22 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano
Thank you all for your responses!

It sounds like my options, in ascending order of cost, are:

(1) Cut my foil design (with a vinyl cutter I presume), apply adhesive, then press.
(2) Buy an inexpensive Okidata monochrome laser (darn - I have an HP), add the base layer to the garment, then press the foil over it.
(3) Have a one color plastisol transfer made (pricey if you don't need 25 or so of the same design) then apply the foil

- Steve
1. NO, the adhesive has to be gel cured.
2. I don't think there is any such creature as an inexpensive laser printer.
3. It is easier to get the adhesive applied to the foil, gel cured, and then pressed onto the fabric.

How many do you need? Is your design one color or more and how complicated is it? I'm not sure if halftones can be done with foil or not, I would think the adhesive would be too thick.

Old December 31st, 2013 Dec 31, 2013 7:10:24 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

And the foil that I've found only comes in rolls that are 12 inches wide.

Old December 31st, 2013 Dec 31, 2013 5:21:58 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lben
1. NO, the adhesive has to be gel cured.
2. I don't think there is any such creature as an inexpensive laser printer.
3. It is easier to get the adhesive applied to the foil, gel cured, and then pressed onto the fabric.

How many do you need? Is your design one color or more and how complicated is it? I'm not sure if halftones can be done with foil or not, I would think the adhesive would be too thick.
New Egg and Amazon sell an Okidata monochrome laser for under $100. I think that could do the job in laying down a base for the foil. In reading the reviews, however, a low capacity (half empty) toner cartridge sells for $80 and a replacement drum for $200. Typical of "modern" marketing practices. So yes, the laser is inexpensive but you might as well throw it away when the cartridge runs out and buy a new one with zero miles on the odometer.

I have no specific designs, just some ideas using lettering and simple graphics, all one color. I wanted a different embellishment for shirts, hoodies, and tote bags but foil sounds like a lot of aggravation and tedium. I might be better off using glitter vinyl instead.

Thanks for your input!

Old March 24th, 2014 Mar 24, 2014 5:56:34 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I just received the thermo adhesive that you can use with the Stahl Foil. I am just trying to figure out which way to put the stuff in the printer I guess it is trial and error. I have ben looking all over even on the Stahl website and nothing but here goes. I will let you knowwhat hapened

Old March 24th, 2014 Mar 24, 2014 6:33:30 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Tammy

I've bought the thermal adhesive. You put it in the cutter, I think shiny side up if I remember. It's very finicky to cut. Then you press the clear adhesive down on the shirt and then the foil shiny side up. I have gone to buying foils on the vinyl already - and temporarily given up on this process. ...

I think it's much more expensive to buy the foil vinyls and they are a little thicker, but I think it's worth it in what I save in wasted materials trying this. I wish Stahls carried the stretch foils like I bought at Heat Transfer Warehouse. I really like the Stahls materials...

Old March 25th, 2014 Mar 25, 2014 12:06:13 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginasands
I just received the thermo adhesive that you can use with the Stahl Foil. I am just trying to figure out which way to put the stuff in the printer I guess it is trial and error. I have ben looking all over even on the Stahl website and nothing but here goes. I will let you knowwhat hapened
You don't print it, you cut it via vinyl cutter or hand, and then apply it for 3 secs @ 350F, cold peel. Don't cheat and peel it early as you'll be sorry. Check links for more info and foil time/temp.

Here's the link for adhesive:

Thermo-Adhesive Material | Stahls’

Check vid at 6:10 mark for the info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdKdwEtoj3U#t=376

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resu For This Useful Post:
Nick Horvath (March 25th, 2014), Stefano (March 25th, 2014)
Old March 25th, 2014 Mar 25, 2014 6:22:28 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammygraphics
It's very finicky to cut.
That is correct. You will not get fine detail or super small letters. For one, it is hard to see the cut lines in order to weed.

Old March 25th, 2014 Mar 25, 2014 8:47:08 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resu
You don't print it, you cut it via vinyl cutter or hand, and then apply it for 3 secs @ 350F, cold peel. Don't cheat and peel it early as you'll be sorry. Check links for more info and foil time/temp.

Here's the link for adhesive:

Thermo-Adhesive Material | Stahls’

Check vid at 6:10 mark for the info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdKdwEtoj3U#t=376
Thanks! The Josh Ellsworth video sare always informative. I'm happy to see there are some alternatives to the laser printer technique I saw on an earlier video.

Old March 30th, 2017 Mar 30, 2017 8:17:40 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Mike

Hi,

I have a new oki 831 laser printer. It works great. I use Neenah image clip for lights and never had any issues. I tried some copper and gold foil that I had laying around on some one color designs and they came out great. It's the foils that work on plastisol inks. Here's my problem and question: I bought stahls rolls of foil that work on plastisol ink and tried them. They won't stick whatsoever...but the kicker is the original rolls of foil i used that actually work no longer work. This is nuts...anyone know how to get this foil to adhere to laser toner...oki brand??
Thanks, Mike

This is a discussion about How to apply Stahl's foils that was posted in the CAD-CUT Direct Help Forums section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.