User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Business and Finance

Business and Finance Sponsor

This section of the forum is for discussing the business and finance issues of the t-shirt industry. Which business structure to use (sole proprietor, LLC, S Corp, etc), how to handle billing, where to register your business and get the proper licensing, etc.

[CLOTHING LINE] salesperson pay/commission for clothing lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By terzdesign

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago May 17, 2017 12:59:37 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Terz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default salesperson pay/commission for clothing lines

Hello

I've come up with a line of apparel that I currently retail on my website www.hometownriot.com. I have been contemplating hiring a couple of sales reps so I can begin selling for wholesale accounts.

What I am having trouble wrapping my head around is what a proper pay structure would be for these reps. It seems to me that once a buyer is found then they would simply order direct from the company; therefore the rep is no longer needed. Or if the account did want to deal with the rep, and that rep decided to quit, the client would default to ordering direct anyway since the rep can't take product with them...

Anybody have experience with sales reps and branded apparel rather than printing services?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago May 17, 2017 1:54:11 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Default Re: salesperson pay/commission for clothing lines

Following your link, I get this:
Quote:
A private connection to www.hometownriot.com can't be established because your computer's date and time (Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 2:52:43 PM) are incorrect.
That seems pretty darn weird. FYI That is the correct time and date where I am.

Old 1 Week Ago May 17, 2017 4:41:39 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Bryan

And my computer tells me that "attackers may be trying to steal my information."

Old 1 Week Ago May 17, 2017 5:15:29 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy
And my computer tells me that "attackers may be trying to steal my information."
hmm, seems my security certificate did NOT self renew. I'll have to get my web guy on that tomorrow. That's not good! BTW, nobody is trying to steal your info. It just means that some backend things need to be updated.

Old 6 Days Ago May 19, 2017 7:35:20 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXid
Following your link, I get this:

That seems pretty darn weird. FYI That is the correct time and date where I am.
I got the same.

But i'm interested in hearing replies to his original question.

Old 6 Days Ago May 19, 2017 8:09:32 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

First thing to recognize is the most valuable employee in the company is the salesperson/account exec. Finding a true professional sales person is very difficult. I would trade 10 designers for one good salesperson. They not only are the backbone of your future success but they also become the face of your company. The idea of taking away an account from a salesperson after they get the initial sale demonstrates that you do not value the incredible asset a successful salesperson is to your future. A professional salesperson is not only going to bring in new customers they will also generate additional sales from their existing client base. If you have an existing client base and are waiting for those clients to call you with orders in time you will lose those customers to a competitor who knows how to manage and expand customers sales revenue.

My one suggestion - being that the salesperson is on the front line and will be for many the first impression of your company do not under any circumstance try to do it on the cheap. If you cannot afford or have the resources to hire a professional salesperson do not hire one at all. A bad salesperson can create as much damage as a great one can success.

The Following User Says Thank You to Signature Series For This Useful Post:
numbercruncher (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago May 19, 2017 8:18:00 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Michael

This is a thoughtful and insightful answer.

Old 6 Days Ago May 19, 2017 9:06:56 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature Series
First thing to recognize is the most valuable employee in the company is the salesperson/account exec. Finding a true professional sales person is very difficult. I would trade 10 designers for one good salesperson. They not only are the backbone of your future success but they also become the face of your company. The idea of taking away an account from a salesperson after they get the initial sale demonstrates that you do not value the incredible asset a successful salesperson is to your future. A professional salesperson is not only going to bring in new customers they will also generate additional sales from their existing client base. If you have an existing client base and are waiting for those clients to call you with orders in time you will lose those customers to a competitor who knows how to manage and expand customers sales revenue.

My one suggestion - being that the salesperson is on the front line and will be for many the first impression of your company do not under any circumstance try to do it on the cheap. If you cannot afford or have the resources to hire a professional salesperson do not hire one at all. A bad salesperson can create as much damage as a great one can success.
Thanks for your response. I do not plan on hiring someone on the cheap, nor do I wish to take away sales from them. Keep in mind that this is not for contract printing but retail designs.

It seems to me that once the client decides they want to purchase our product at wholesale, so they can retail them in their stores or wherever, that the need for a salesperson is no longer necessary. Am I incorrect here? Maybe it's not a salesperson I need but a person who can be paid a finders fee? Once again, I'm looking for suggestions on this matter.

Old 6 Days Ago May 19, 2017 10:04:34 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by terzdesign
Thanks for your response. I do not plan on hiring someone on the cheap, nor do I wish to take away sales from them. Keep in mind that this is not for contract printing but retail designs.

It seems to me that once the client decides they want to purchase our product at wholesale, so they can retail them in their stores or wherever, that the need for a salesperson is no longer necessary. Am I incorrect here? Maybe it's not a salesperson I need but a person who can be paid a finders fee? Once again, I'm looking for suggestions on this matter.
A wholesale account needs as much on-going attention as a retail account. You really need to understand what sales/account execs do day to day.

This is a discussion about salesperson pay/commission for clothing lines that was posted in the Business and Finance section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.