[CLOTHING LINE] Business name: XOXOXOX, Designs? OR XOXOXOX, Apparel? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

TShirtForums Mobile Apps
TShirtForums iPhone App
TShirtForums Android App

Follow T-ShirtForums on TwitterT-ShirtForums Video Channel on YouTubeBecome a Fan of T-Shirt Forums on Facebook

Add to Google

Subscribe to the T-ShirtForums Newsletter

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Business and Finance

Business and Finance Sponsor

This section of the forum is for discussing the business and finance issues of the t-shirt industry. Which business structure to use (sole proprietor, LLC, S Corp, etc), how to handle billing, where to register your business and get the proper licensing, etc.

[CLOTHING LINE] Business name: XOXOXOX, Designs? OR XOXOXOX, Apparel?

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Thing2
  • 1 Post By seacookie
  • 1 Post By into the T
  • 1 Post By seacookie

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 20th, 2017 Mar 20, 2017 11:04:51 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Eric
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Business name: XOXOXOX, Designs? OR XOXOXOX, Apparel?

Simple thought.... am I limiting the scope of things by going with "Apparel" ? Wouldn't "Designs" allow for a broader audience? Apparel is obviously clothing (which will be the focus) but what if coffee cups, calendars, stickers or something else come into play. Designs seems to be more appropriate in that case.

If it helps - going to go with an LLC. (NV)

(edit: business name is NOT XOXOXOX - that is just a placeholder.)

Last edited by Thing2; March 20th, 2017 at 12:33 PM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2017 Mar 20, 2017 12:19:49 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dan
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Business name: XOXOXOX, Designs? OR XOXOXOX, Apparel?

I think the xoxoxoxox part could be a problem. It makes it difficult for people to talk about the brand. It takes 5 minutes to say the name. It could especially be difficult for finding you online - people have to remember how many x's and o's there are. It is also quite long for clothing tags etc. Did you have other ideas or is your heart set on this name?

Old March 20th, 2017 Mar 20, 2017 12:32:32 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Eric

Talking Re: Business name: XOXOXOX, Designs? OR XOXOXOX, Apparel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danandnao
I think the xoxoxoxox part could be a problem. It makes it difficult for people to talk about the brand. It takes 5 minutes to say the name. It could especially be difficult for finding you online - people have to remember how many x's and o's there are. It is also quite long for clothing tags etc. Did you have other ideas or is your heart set on this name?
OOPS! I should have clarified. The XOXOXOX was just a placeholder. The business name is not that. Call me crazy but I don't want someone to steal my idea, LOL. I know... I'm crazy but that's not the question.
danandnao likes this.

Old March 20th, 2017 Mar 20, 2017 4:54:16 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dan
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Oh lol... sorry!

Old March 20th, 2017 Mar 20, 2017 6:19:05 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Edward

thanks for the clarification
i too thought,
that is just kooky, nobody will remember that

design has a different connotation than apparel

if you are starting with apparel stick with it,
then add the design later if that comes into play

(insert name) Apparel, morphs into (insert name) Apparel & Design

nobody that wants your tees is confused that you added design,
and when you begin customers are not wondering if you do apparel or just graphics

Old March 21st, 2017 Mar 21, 2017 2:11:42 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Why not come up with a new word altogether? Concepts, promotions, propaganda, gear, etc. Maybe that would make your name too long, not sure.

Old March 21st, 2017 Mar 21, 2017 3:15:59 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Lose Apparel & Design. Put business name and tag line.

business name:seacookie
tagline: let them ride you

Last edited by seacookie; March 21st, 2017 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: business name&tag line

Old March 21st, 2017 Mar 21, 2017 4:58:16 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

into the T likes this.

Old March 21st, 2017 Mar 21, 2017 8:58:15 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

i always pictured an oatmeal raisin floating lazily adrift in the middle of the pacific
seacookie likes this.

Old March 21st, 2017 Mar 21, 2017 9:55:13 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the T
i always pictured an oatmeal raisin floating lazily adrift in the middle of the pacific
I created that nick few years ago so I could read t-shirt forum. Later when I realized this forum is great, I was looking if there is an option to change nick so I could use my regular old nick, which I use on other forums. Unfortunately there isn't.So I'm stucked with raisin....

Old March 22nd, 2017 Mar 22, 2017 8:48:36 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Yes. Genius.com, the lyric information site was rapgenius.com before rebranding and it only showed lyrics of rap/hiphop songs. Once the name was changed you could see lyrics to all genres of music. I'm sure you could see the benefit in that. Reach a larger audience = more opportunities.

Putting apparel, clothing, design etc. after the name is 100% fine if that's what the business is committed to doing. It just won't be feasible using the name for other avenues of creation.

So I'm with seacookie.

Take care and good luck.

Old March 22nd, 2017 Mar 22, 2017 11:07:32 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

hmmm....

so they started with a name for a target audience that highlighted their main focus,
then they expanded and evolved their name and reach without losing their original customer base

had they started with genius.com they would have had a very diluted reach

you want a shotgun blast in the hopes of hitting everyone from a mile out,
start with something a little more accurate/precise, then as you advance bring out the spray

Old March 22nd, 2017 Mar 22, 2017 11:36:55 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the T
hmmm....

so they started with a name for a target audience that highlighted their main focus,
then they expanded and evolved their name and reach without losing their original customer base

had they started with genius.com they would have had a very diluted reach

you want a shotgun blast in the hopes of hitting everyone from a mile out,
start with something a little more accurate/precise, then as you advance bring out the spray

He could use tagline for that:

example:

Genius
Rap heaven on one site

when they grow:
Genius
Music heaven on one site

Kinda poor example, but i just woke up and I drink my morning coffee so it's allowed.

Old March 22nd, 2017 Mar 22, 2017 12:52:13 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Honestly guys, there's far to much that goes into play. I used genius.com as an example because that was the first thing that came to my mind. But yes, adding what you do and or tagline at the end of your name on a website based service is not a bad idea for marketing. As your main marketing tool is google.

On physical products that have some sort of branding on it and let me explain this in a more condensed version. If I'm selling my brand that just happeneds to be on a shirt then what you are marketing is visual through the name and or logo. If your selling the shirt itself. Meaning the brand is the SHIRT. The marketing is still visual but it's done through the shirt so adding apparel makes sense.

If you where to have a blank white shirt with just the name of your company on the front. I don't think it matters if you have apparel or not because people are either going to come up to you and ask and or google it. If your selling "designs" on a shirt with no real visual branding. Then yeah add whatever.

To me it's just so depenedat on what your doing.

Reading the original users post. It seems like his future endeavors lay in designs. My question to you is what makes you the "designer" of these mugs, calendars, stickers etc? Will you be creating the actual product, adding a design to them? or simply adding your brand to a product that's already made.

If it's yes to the first two then adding designs whatever else makes sense. If it's the last I don't think you need anything.

This could go on forever but this is my opinion and would love to hear others.

Old March 22nd, 2017 Mar 22, 2017 1:51:52 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Well mine view is more from designer aspect then t-shirt maker. I am just starting this t-shirt venture, but if I would read on a t-shirt,mug,cap lets say : seacookie design, I would think that seacookie design is a service where you can order designs for whatever. But if I would see only seacookie, that would be more like branding to me.

And i wouldn't put apparel on t-shirt. I never seen big apparel companies to put apparel on t-shirts...I would try to convey that message with other media. Nike apparel,O'neill apparel....

Here is one example from internet:
into the T likes this.

Last edited by seacookie; March 22nd, 2017 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: And i wouldn't put apparel on t-shirt. I never seen big apparel companies to put apparel on t-shirts...I would try to convey

This is a discussion about Business name: XOXOXOX, Designs? OR XOXOXOX, Apparel? that was posted in the Business and Finance section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.